Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

got burned by Howell EFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:48 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default got burned by Howell EFI

well tried to work with them on a 4.3 for 6 months they said they would give us a full refund and was totally lied to

just want to make sure someone know what they are getting into if there harness is not correct, if it is correct you will have success, if it is not this is
what happened to us

all I have to say is dealing with Howell is have been the worst ever

we start off purchasing a system for a 4.3 Vortec 1996, we call them for a harness and they tell us that we should purchase the computer from them
and the sensors so there is no issue,

get the harness took normal time

install harness and bam does not fire up, so we call them and they tell us we need a factory distributor, do not want take any chance so we purchase
a AC delco distributor from the Dealer,

still no start

OK so call them up and Howell tell us that it should have a new spider common issue, same thing get one from the dealership

still no start

Call them again and they apologized and said that the built the Harness wrong and to change 3 of the wires, OK getting exited now

still no start,

but it will only start if you prime it with fuel

change the coil, will only start with a prime, change all the relays, Now we are running out of money and 3 dune trips wasted

then someone tells us it need the factory oil sender hooked up, well we put in the factory oil pressure and when hooking up the wire
the fuel pump will run and will not turn off unless you disconnect the battery or pull the relays

Pres day is coming up and really want my family to be out there with there new car,
take it to a Local shop and they have a weak spark and injector pulse, so they hot wire it and same issue,

purchase a new computer, the other one came from Howell and it will start on its own but will not run

after spending
New computer $225
New spider injector $500
Distributor $250
DKA $500

we are done, O I mean with this Harness deal, We call Howell and get the owner after some time and he says sorry they had harness issues and computer issue
that they will refund the harness and the computer and O2's

so we wait 2 weeks call them and ask them what is going on and they tell us that they fixed the harness and is sending it back and will not refund anything
and if we try to cancel the CC card they will sue us, and have all the documents

not sure what they have all the documents mean

But after reading the harness issue on the internet I will never buy another Howell harness again what a joke this has been and has cost us more money than it was
worth

the Howell 4.3 harnesses are total junk
http://howellefi.com/
Old 03-26-2016, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"and if we try to cancel the CC card they will sue us, and have all the documents "

Call their bluff??
Old 03-26-2016, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call your CC company now, stop posting about it until you do this. If you dont cancel it now its your fault, IMO
Old 03-27-2016, 01:30 AM
Restricted User

I agree, have to fill out a form and fax it in and call them, first thing Monday going try to wrap it up,
Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Make sure when you contact your CC provider you need to send the product back. I am a service provider and if my customer cancels a card payment and keeps the product I do have legal right to file suit against there property and could potentially be awarded three times the amount plus legal fees.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

my CC company told me seller is to arrange shipping. meaning i am not obligated to ship it back on my dime. still sitting on some ebay junk from 2014, lol
Old 06-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Last edited by turpehar; 06-21-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Howell is a classic example of a small business that has failed to recognize they are not "small" any more, For a long time they were kinda the go-to source for GM engine swaps outside the LS hot rod world (Especially Jeep swaps) , But over and over I hear complaints that to me all lead to a small shop trying to knock out too much work without enough well trained experienced folks in the line.. While they were not paying attention they got some competition that they don't seem to recognize either.. I now have a guy 5 miles for my house that fully supports LS harnesses and engines and since I can drive to the shop if I have a problem he gets my business.. No internet in the way...
Old 06-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Howell is a classic example of a small business that has failed to recognize they are not "small" any more, For a long time they were kinda the go-to source for GM engine swaps outside the LS hot rod world (Especially Jeep swaps) , But over and over I hear complaints that to me all lead to a small shop trying to knock out too much work without enough well trained experienced folks in the line.. While they were not paying attention they got some competition that they don't seem to recognize either.. I now have a guy 5 miles for my house that fully supports LS harnesses and engines and since I can drive to the shop if I have a problem he gets my business.. No internet in the way...

Next time I'll build my own harness. But having a shop up the street would be awesome.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Come to think of. it,, as hard a time as my company has finding people (It jobs) and with folks who actually understand automobile electronics,, I bet they have a hell of a time with finding guys off the street that can build a harness form scratch.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

" I bet they have a hell of a time with finding guys off the street that can build a harness form scratch."

I guess we are lucky. Our lady does a great job. She'd never worked on a car, much less electronics, b4 coming onboard.
Key is training and providing the correct layouts, tools.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Buggy 4.3 EFI

Hi Jalper, I hope your engine is in operation.

Much of my work is with Sand Cars and BAJA racers.

I am in Santa Ana, CA. 92705.

Would you like my help ?

I make my OWN ECU-882C and wiring harnesses with most connectors in stock.
(40 years of this work)
Lance

Quick Reply: got burned by Howell EFI