Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Cell Baffling Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 06:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Cell Baffling Questions

so i am designing and making my own custom fuel cell and top hat to go in my fox. The only thing i am a little unsure about is the baffling to keep the fuel from sloshing. This will be a 95% street driven car with some light drag use.

Here is what i have come up with so far. The elongated holes will be for these trap doors:

Fuel Trap Door

i just made some other holes to help keep the fuel flowing between sections. I have no plans to try and run like 1-2 gallons in this thing for .001 better track times so if it ever gets less than 1/4 full its because i am trying to find the nearest E85 station lol. Total tank capacity is ~22 gal and rough dimensions are 34x16x10.

does anyone have any pictures/examples or comments on the baffling or how it could be improved? is it sufficient for street use and im just overthinking this?

here is my build thread FYI incase you need any background https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ld-thread.html

Old 05-17-2016, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone?

also, i am going to be using the OEM fill neck to attach to the tube you see in the side of the fuel cell. Do i need anything in there to make sure the pump stops when its supposed to? or anything to keep the fuel from coming back up the neck on hard turns?
Old 05-18-2016, 04:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Walls either vertically or flat panels can help prevent slosh.

If you have room underneath, have a flat bottom tank with a small sump, and drop the pumps into that. Simply by design, the sump acts as a baffle to work in conjunction with what's above on the flat base.

Either above this, then you can also build a small collector. Some will use a trapdoor style system same as some oil pans run, other collector styles involve ramps leading to the drop collector. ie fuel can easily move into the hole, but not out of.

eg some trapdoors here

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/fuel_cell.html

Using foam in the tank will also help a lot.

Fuel tank in this was very interesting...I'd never thought of using a horizontal, ie flat baffle...but it makes a lot of sense, around 4m30s

If the filler is a long distance from the tank, run say a 1/2" line in parallel with it to the filler neck area to allow the tank to breathe easier as you fill.

And dont forget to add a proper breather and rollover valve to the tank

Quick Reply: Fuel Cell Baffling Questions