Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Guidance appreciated on converting a carbureted LS2 to EFI

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Guidance appreciated on converting a carbureted LS2 to EFI

Hi guys. I'd really appreciate some general guidance and Direction on where to go...I have had some success with the speed demon carb and Edelbrock dual plane intake manifold on my stock ls2,('64 resto-mod Vette) but as I live in the UK and fuel is horrendously expensive, I'd really like to get the best mpg out of it.
Not only that, id like to improve driveability, as I am experiencing some flat spots and stumbling with the carb, despite following Demons printed, and various online ,advice.
I do have the original ls2 plastic intake manifold but it is missing the throttle body, fuel rail and injectors.

I know I would have to upgrade the fuel lines and pump...
I have seen loads of aftermarket self tuning EFI systems such as FAST or Holley systems. my buddy who lives in the 'States says I could quite easily run it on a 2002 Camaro ECU,
The problem is you don't exactly find many of those in scrap yards in the UK, so as far as I can see,there would be little benefit in me selecting that ECU.
What would be the best cost-effective route for me in your opinion?
Do I try to source a stock C5 Corvette throttle body and use the Gm ECU and buy a stock fuel rail? or do I buy an aftermarket EFI system, which self tunes?( I'm thinking here, that as there are not that many tuning companies experienced in the GM ECU, I might be better off buying a self tuning system)
Would I need a cable operated throttle body? I see there are loads available to purchase...
Any help and guidance would be really appreciated!
best regards Andy
Old 05-17-2016, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Andy390
Hi guys. I'd really appreciate some general guidance and Direction on where to go...I have had some success with the speed demon carb and Edelbrock dual plane intake manifold on my stock ls2,('64 resto-mod Vette) but as I live in the UK and fuel is horrendously expensive, I'd really like to get the best mpg out of it.
Not only that, id like to improve driveability, as I am experiencing some flat spots and stumbling with the carb, despite following Demons printed, and various online ,advice.
I do have the original ls2 plastic intake manifold but it is missing the throttle body, fuel rail and injectors.

I have seen loads of aftermarket self tuning EFI systems such as FAST or Holley systems. my buddy who lives in the 'States says I could quite easily run it on a 2002 Camaro ECU,
The problem is you don't exactly find many of those in scrap yards in the UK, so as far as I can see,there would be little benefit in me selecting that ECU.
Do I try to source a stock C5 Corvette throttle body and use the Gm ECU and buy a stock fuel rail? or do I buy an aftermarket EFI system, which self tunes?( I'm thinking here, that as there are not that many tuning companies experienced in the GM ECU, I might be better off buying a self tuning system)
Would I need a cable operated throttle body? I see there are loads available to purchase...
best regards Andy
MSD Atomic Ls will solve all your rails,tuning,ecu problems.
I have this on my LS2 intake on a 5.3 and it runs perfect!
I also have a single turbo as well. That may not be for you since you want economy, but itll always be an option.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
MSD Atomic Ls will solve all your rails,tuning,ecu problems.
I have this on my LS2 intake on a 5.3 and it runs perfect!
I also have a single turbo as well. That may not be for you since you want economy, but itll always be an option.
Thanks.I had seen that system a few times , and it looks like a well engineered setup! I like the fact the electronics are hidden in the fuel rails. I did worry a bit that all the heat from the engine might affect them, but I suppose the fuel running through them would also cool them?!
and as you say, you have used it and have had no issues ..(and anyway the temperature over here is not that hot )😏
sounds like a good idea to me thanks for your help .
What fuel pump did you use? I know that in-tank pumps for EFI are usually better due to quietness and the cooling effect of the fuel...
The aeromotive system looks very well made....
Cheers Andy
Old 05-18-2016, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy390

best regards Andy
If you're going OEM ecu, you'd be best buying a package of wiring/ecu from one of the conversion companies. It will save you no end of grief. There are a number of tuners on the UK...but it does mean forking out more money.

You could easily go down the Megasquirt or Microsquirt route, and there will be tuners in the UK who can cover you there too and it should work out fairly cheap as EFISource, Matt at DIYAutotune etc all do kits for the engines.

Obviously with the above options ( or indeed any aftermarket ecu ) that will take control of fuel and sparks.

The likes of Fitech which offer a self tuning fuel system...it is a fuel system only as far as I am aware. So bare that in mind as you'd need to retain some of teh MSD or whatever you're using for ignition.

Or give Craig at Dynotorque a shout, he has done tons of LS conversions and has used either Emerald or ECUMaster on a lot of cars and would be able to sort you out with everything at a sensible price.

Really...anywhere in the world there are tons of options for these engines, UK is no exception to that.

Obviously you'll need to re-work the fuel system too for the EFI as your tank etc wont have been designed with that application in mind. Craig would be able to sort everything for you though.

If you wanted to retain that original carb manifold style and appearance, there are options for that too.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If you're going OEM ecu, you'd be best buying a package of wiring/ecu from one of the conversion companies. It will save you no end of grief. There are a number of tuners on the UK...but it does mean forking out more money.

You could easily go down the Megasquirt or Microsquirt route, and there will be tuners in the UK who can cover you there too and it should work out fairly cheap as EFISource, Matt at DIYAutotune etc all do kits for the engines.

Obviously with the above options ( or indeed any aftermarket ecu ) that will take control of fuel and sparks.

The likes of Fitech which offer a self tuning fuel system...it is a fuel system only as far as I am aware. So bare that in mind as you'd need to retain some of teh MSD or whatever you're using for ignition.

Or give Craig at Dynotorque a shout, he has done tons of LS conversions and has used either Emerald or ECUMaster on a lot of cars and would be able to sort you out with everything at a sensible price.

Really...anywhere in the world there are tons of options for these engines, UK is no exception to that.

Obviously you'll need to re-work the fuel system too for the EFI as your tank etc wont have been designed with that application in mind. Craig would be able to sort everything for you though.

If you wanted to retain that original carb manifold style and appearance, there are options for that too.
Thanks Stevie, useful advice....much appreciated

Quick Reply: Guidance appreciated on converting a carbureted LS2 to EFI