Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

to big of injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default to big of injectors?

I've been having issues with idle that my tuner cant tune out. I believe it may be something mechanical. I installed an msd atomic airforce intake, 102 tb and a tsp maf. along with 78 lb/hr injectors. The issues only happen at idle and no throttle the car runs very rich 12 afr rich... The injectors are 78# at 42 psi, I believe they are around 90# on 58psi that my stock pump runs. would too large of an injector make the idle that rich and erratic, Surging and stalling? Cruising and letting of the throttle also causes rich afrs then lean tip when I get back on the throttle immediately sometimes causing a misfire or sputter. I have a set of 62# at 58psi injectors I can buy but want to make sure I'm not wasting money to have the same issues. I've heard a good tuner can tune large injectors to run like stock but im still not certain. would ipw adjustments help idle with out messing with any part throttle or wot fueling?
Old 06-24-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes they can do that, but those are not that large where they cannot be scaled down enough to run correctly.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

the tables took all the data so scaling them down isn't the issue to the best of my knowledge.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:13 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Depends on the injector, and I've never heard of a 78lb injector before so you will have to be more specific. Larger injectors very commonly ride their minimum pulse width at light part throttle cruise and decel so it's normal to have many types of larger injectors be rich in those areas. Of course it could be tune related as well by not modifying your minimum allowed pulsewidth or having injector data that is not modified correctly or accurate. Without a tune file posted and without knowing what kind of injectors they are specifically it's anybody's guess. I would have to question why you put such large injectors in what is essentially a heads/cam car however. You surely won't use the full dynamic range of that large of an injector with your combo.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NicD
Depends on the injector, and I've never heard of a 78lb injector before so you will have to be more specific. Larger injectors very commonly ride their minimum pulse width at light part throttle cruise and decel so it's normal to have many types of larger injectors be rich in those areas. Of course it could be tune related as well by not modifying your minimum allowed pulsewidth or having injector data that is not modified correctly or accurate. Without a tune file posted and without knowing what kind of injectors they are specifically it's anybody's guess. I would have to question why you put such large injectors in what is essentially a heads/cam car however. You surely won't use the full dynamic range of that large of an injector with your combo.
I can get the file on later this week. the injectors are deatschwerk bosch ev14 78# injectors. minimum pulse width is 1.00ms. I got them because I was playing with the idea of going e85 with 150 shot. the maximum duty they've used is around 38% at wot. little over kill I know.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If your math is right about 78# at 42psi and 90# at 58psi, then 1.0ms minimum PW will definitely give a rich idle. I'm guessing these are high impedance injectors, and may be untuneable at the short pulse required for low rpm operation. It also sounds like you may end up needing to adjust some DFCO values, but I would definitely look at injectors first.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gametech
If your math is right about 78# at 42psi and 90# at 58psi, then 1.0ms minimum PW will definitely give a rich idle. I'm guessing these are high impedance injectors, and may be untuneable at the short pulse required for low rpm operation. It also sounds like you may end up needing to adjust some DFCO values, but I would definitely look at injectors first.
they are high impedance injectors I belevie I was off at 90# they are infact 92# my tuner told me, This is so relieving lol. I have 62# my friend used on his h/c/I/spray ls2 so hopefully changing them will do the trick. just another example of not know or understanding what I was buying...
Old 07-04-2016, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

For what it is worth we changed the injectors to a set of 65# at 58psi ls3 style injectors and the issue disappeared. no more rich cruising or idle, still some lean tip but we still haven't tuned the car yet. bank 2 ltft are 10-20% higher than bank one though. i will be changing plugs to see if that will help.

Quick Reply: to big of injectors?