Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

My car won't take gas. EVAP issues?

Old 06-29-2016, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car won't take gas. EVAP issues?

Okay, so bear with me I'm new to this website. However, the other day upon filling up my car it seemed it wouldn't take any fuel... I would squeeze the handle and the safety would kick on the nozzle, stopping it to pump gas. So, I then took it back home and preceded to look around for any issues. I shined a flash light down the filler neck and noticed there was gas in it... now it wasn't too far from the opening of the filler. also my gas gauge says its about a quarter under full. So I know something is up. I went around doing some research, it all pointed toward the EVAP system. My friend (Also a 4th gen driver) says it could be my purge valve in the tank... however i don't see how that makes sense. I have also heard of the roll over ball being stuck... So now I ask does anyone have any keen insight as to what the f*** is going on? Im just not too sure it adds up. Is it possible the charcoal canister is clogged up? Would that have anything to do with it? Thank you!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

did you try pulling the fuel nozzle out of the filler neck slightly??
Old 06-30-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

These are notorious for the fuel sender failing and reading wrong. Any possibility that it is actually full?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Teching In

I did try that. Also tried moving it around a bit. Last night though I'm decided to burn some gas. (With the possibility I over filled it) and the grass gauge went down to 1/2 a tank. Then actually climbed back up to full rather quickly.. Is it possible I over filled? Also, if true do you think I damaged the sensor? Lol I haven't tried putting fuel back in yet. So I'm not sure if the problem is fixed. However the gas that was sitting in the filler neck is now gone.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

one of my Fbodies does that too. the sensors just suck
Old 07-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Teching In

So do you think that my sensor may be broke?
Old 07-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

My car just started doing this recently. There is nothing wrong with the sender or gauge. It reads accurately. But it keeps kicking the gas pump off and today even spurted some gas out of the filler tube. And I didn't even fill the car up. And it seems like I'm smelling a slight fuel smell around the car lately. What gives?
Old 07-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RevGTO
My car just started doing this recently. There is nothing wrong with the sender or gauge. It reads accurately. But it keeps kicking the gas pump off and today even spurted some gas out of the filler tube. And I didn't even fill the car up. And it seems like I'm smelling a slight fuel smell around the car lately. What gives?
Well, I believe my issue was I over filled my tank WAAAY too much. Lol. However, how much gas can you pump in into the car? Did you look down the filler neck? If there is gas sitting in the filler neck, it could be possible the vent solenoid valve is not working. Which wouldn't be relieving the air pressure in the tank. That would explain why you can't put any gas in the tank...
Old 07-31-2016, 03:28 PM
Pontiacerator

I can get gas into the tank; the nozzle just shuts off several times in the process.

I think I've solved both problems (theoretically): the fuel smell and fuel delivery shut off. The filler tube flap isn't closing completely for one. And I'm theorizing that my vent valve is stuck shut and so when I'm filling, the only way fumes can escape is through the filler tube, thus shutting off the nozzle. Similarly, when fumes build up because of heat and driving, they can't escape through the vent line and so purge through the filler tube.

Last edited by RevGTO; 07-31-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Pontiacerator

Because there's information out there in other threads that reflects the LT1 setup, let me state for the record that the vent valve and EVAP canister are on top of the fuel tank on LS1 f-bodies - at least 99 & up. 98 may be different due to the earlier, smaller tank.

And I don't think that there's a trap door trick for this job. The tank has to come out
Old 08-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Ive seen these on a few other models cars before, and your right it's a clog in your vent. Though normally it's on cars with charcoal canisters. There should be a way to trapdoor it but you'd need to find a REALLY good picture. Best of luck man dropping those tanks sucks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My car won't take gas. EVAP issues?