Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel System Noob - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel System Noob - need advice

Hey guys,

I have a lot of questions that I was hoping to put off for a while. I had my car dynoed this past friday and was hoping to make ~400hp, which from what I've read, would've been fine for a stock fuel system.

I ended up making 450 rwhp N/A and had fuel cut about 6,000 RPM. My injectors are fine for now, but I want to upgrade them just so I'm not running them close to max duty cycle. 42# injectors should have plenty of room for me.

Here comes the questions:

What is a good pump? I want plenty of room to grow, since I plan on eventually spraying up to a 100 shot. I've never messed with my fuel system so this whole modifying my in tank setup is kind of daunting, but I'd rather do that than an external pump. What would be a good pump to support lets say 600 hp at the 58 or 60 psi or whatever stock is, with 42# injectors? I've read that Walbro 255s sometimes support 500 hp, some say 600. This makes me a little uneasy and I want something bigger. Does a Walbro 320 work well in a stock fbody tank? How hard is this to install?

Will my stock lines be sufficient for this pump and injector set up?
Will I need a different regulator, and if so, what do you recommend?

I don't mean to turn this into rocket science. Just never messed with this system and I have no idea what I'm doing. As the username says, I'm just some dumb kid lol

Thanks in advance for any help, info, etc!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

hope your ready to read......im bored.

i was in the same boat as you, except in a year or 2 I'm looking to do a 427+ max effort N/A setup. after searching i found exactly what u found, weather its walbro or racetronix, using an alternator supply line gets you to 600.....usually. so while doing my rear swap, i opted to drop the tank for a new pump. I had 2 choices.....spend 250 and gamble on a single racetronix setup and hope later down the road its enough, or do a dual setup, spend 750 now, and never drop the tank again......i chose to go duals from lonnies performance, ls1tech sponsor. I'm only making 415 rwhp now, and the beauty of the lonnies doubles is quite a few things

1) capable of supporting from stock to 1000 hp
2)100% plug and play, no modifying any wiring
3)you open up the box from lonnies, and drop the pump right in
4)factory fuel line and regulator support this....literally you drop the pump in, and run the harness up to the battery.......thats it

the harness is real neat too. the way its setup is you have 2 open connectors, one for each pump. there is a jumper that plugs right into one of the connectors and thats the pump you run. after a few thousand miles, you put the jumper into the connector, and now pump 2 is always working. when you are ready for spray, you now plug a hobbs switch into the connector without the jumper in it, and bam....now you have both pumps working....except the second pump now runs only when you need it.....aka high rpms and full throttle conditions. again, after a few thousand miles, you switch the jumper and the hobbs switch. now the backup pump is the primary, and the primary is now the backup.......that way you don't wear out one pump before the other.........also cool thing about this duals is say for some odd reason your primary pump leaves you stranded.....unplug the jumper and put it in the other connector.......now you can drive home.

now the bad, i paid 765. a bit pricey. i also had to pay sales tax cause of PA. and i paid 50 for a new sending unit. but i really didn't wanna pay 250 then down the road find out my car makes more than 600 and isn't supported anymore.....than i buy the duals anyway.

the other bad thing, i see your car is a 2001, so you have a plastic tank with no baffling. the lonnies doubles gets rid of the stock setup that was able to run your fuel tank to 1/8 or 1/16 of a tank. aka venturri system. with doubles its not recommended to drop below 1/4 of a tank or you may starve the pumps. long post but i hope i answered your questions.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

http://www.lonniesperformance.com/fbodyfuelsystems.htm

his website is a little basic so just scroll down to the 99-02 pump.........or call him. nobody has ever had a bad experience with this guy.

Quick Reply: Fuel System Noob - need advice