Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Forced To Rethink My Fuel System

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Forced To Rethink My Fuel System

So after doing a lot of math and consulting with some experts, I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to get to my goal of 1100rwhp on e85 with just 2x walbro 450s. Given that I can't fit 3 pumps in the tank, I am thinking of going to a single walbro 450 in tank and a single external on a boost reference switch.

Now, my issue is I am not certain which external to use. Ideally I want an external that can be mounted like 3" or so higher than the pickup. I don't know of any that can be. We all know you really can't get an external pump below the bottom of the fuel tank in a C5....any suggestions?

I know externals are loud as **** and this is a daily driver, but I figure if I am building enough boost to need it, I won't hear it over the turbos or exhaust anyway haha.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a good candidate for a swirl pot. This way you get a flooded inlet.

Would the 450 in the tank with no head pressure flow enough to keep a swirl pot full?

Then soft mount your pressure pumps to a rubber mounted plate to insulate/isolate noise from the body.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RixTrix
Sounds like a good candidate for a swirl pot. This way you get a flooded inlet.

Would the 450 in the tank with no head pressure flow enough to keep a swirl pot full?

Then soft mount your pressure pumps to a rubber mounted plate to insulate/isolate noise from the body.
what is a "swirl pot"
Old 12-18-2016, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A separate reservoir above the pump that gravity feeds the main pump(s).

A pump in the tank keeps the swirl pot full, any extra fuel (or air) is returned to the tank.

This also has the added advantage of eliminating any air bubbles from fuel sloshing in the tank.

Fuel returned by the regulator is sent to the swirl pot, so the tank pump only has to move as much fuel (at 0psi) as the motor uses.

The volume of the swirl pot can be increased to accommodate short interruptions in fuel supply.

This is how the Nascar units are done, multiple pumps in different locations of the tank pump fuel into the swirl pot and a submerged pump in the swirl pot supplies the motor, all contained within the fuel cell.

Not familiar with the C5 layout, is the tank high or low?

A remote swirl pot can be mounted in the front of the car, anywhere above the pump inlet. Fuel pumps don't like to suck, a flooded inlet is best.

Last edited by RixTrix; 12-18-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

the C5 tanks are pretty much level with the floor boards and rocker panels. So I would still need 2 pumps in-tank in addition to the external - 1 to feed the motor on normal driving, 1 to feed the pump to feed the engine under boost and WOT. Not sure I want to do that.

Quick Reply: Forced To Rethink My Fuel System