Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Stock regulator part number?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Stock regulator part number?

Well, it looks like my in-tank fuel pressure regulator is blown. Fuel rail pressure is ~70 psi and the return line is free and clear of any restrictions. However, I can't seem to find a separate part number for the pressure regulator (the car is an '00 SS). All the GM parts books (and the dealers) have it as part of the module that goes in the bucket (including pump). I don't need all of that (the pump is new...Racetronix)!

Does anyone know the part number or where I can get the regulator separately?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

No one can offer any help?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Coal Mining Director

I'd be surprised if anybody carries it. It's just an orifice....I'd clean it out first, however I doubt it's a regulator problem...I'd triple check the pressure for accuracy with multiple gages, etc. Sounds like the pressure reading is wrong or the pump is overpowering the factory orifice....worst case is to install an adjustable regulator at the fuel filter and ditch the factory reg.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by onfire
I'd be surprised if anybody carries it.
I did eventually find one guy who offers them for ~ $20. I can forward the info if anyone is interested.

... It's just an orifice....I'd clean it out first, however I doubt it's a regulator problem...I'd triple check the pressure for accuracy with multiple gages, etc. Sounds like the pressure reading is wrong or the pump is overpowering the factory orifice....
The overpowering could be the case. The only reason I even looked at the rail pressure is that the car threw a too rich code after the pump install. Unfortunately, I don't know what it read before the install (since the previous pump was kaput). Could be the gauge, but the code makes me think otherwise. Nevertheless, since I need to drag the tank back out, I'll check the regulator anyway.

...worst case is to install an adjustable regulator at the fuel filter and ditch the factory reg.
Which, except for the added expense, wouldn't be too bad an option. I suppose any reasonable bypass regulator would work at the return line after the T-block? Or, is there a regualtor with In/Out/Bypass ports that could completely replace the T-block? I'm not looking to drag return lines from my engine compartment.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Coal Mining Director

You can splice any high pressure regulator after the Tee....I haven't seen one that replaces the Tee....but that would be a trick set-up.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

You can splice any high pressure regulator after the Tee....I haven't seen one that replaces the Tee....but that would be a trick set-up.
As it turns out, some of these aftermarket regulators can actually replace the Tee. For example, the Aeromotive A1000 has two "inlet" ports that are in full fluid communication. Since they are both on the high pressure side, one can be used as the inlet from the fuel pump and the other as the outlet to the fuel rail. The bypass port is used as the return to the tank. I called Aeromotive to confirm this (and to make sure it wasn't the product of some kind of flashback) and Rick said yes, it can be set up that way.

That makes for a very clean installation.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Coal Mining Director

Sweet.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't buy it from GM. At least to my knowledge. You have to buy the whole fuel assembly i.e. bucket, pump, regulator etc.

About $500 when mine went caput.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sscam68
You can't buy it from GM. At least to my knowledge. You have to buy the whole fuel assembly i.e. bucket, pump, regulator etc.

About $500 when mine went caput.
Already got it (see post #4). Thanks anyway, I may be moving to an external regulator.