Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Whats Wrong With My Fuel Pressure??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Whats Wrong With My Fuel Pressure??

Well, I've been in Iraq for the past 7 months and all I've wanted to do is come home and drive my car (among a few other things of course). I left it with my father to take care of while I've been away, and wouldn't you know it, someone goes wrong with it 3 days before I get back.

Here's the deal. He went out to start it and drive it around a bit, to keep the tires from flat spotting and to keep the lubricants flowing, you know. But the car wouldn't start. It cranks, but the engine won't fire. So, he had one of the local mechanics look at it. The guy disconnected a fuel line at the firewall and there was no fuel pressure. Instantly, the mechanic says that its the fuel pump. I find this highly unlikely however, and I know the mechanic, greedy bastard. For one, the car is throwing the Service Engine light, so a code is being thrown. That leads me to believe that my fuel filter is toast, just completely clogged. Which is entirely possible. Either that, or maybe I have a damaged relay. Personally, I don't see how the fuel pump itself could have bit it. The car hasnt been driven more than a couple miles in the past 7 months. Just started once a week, let idle for 15 minutes, and driven a half mile or so every 2 weeks.

Fuel systems have never been my strong point though, so here I am asking you guys. Its a real pain in the *** top have this happen. Here I am in Kentucky, with a busted *** car that I can't drive back to North Carolina. SO, let me know what you guys think is going on asap, so maybe that way I can fix it quick and get out of here. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Well, I tried starting it again this afternoon, no go. And it isn't throwing a SES light anymore either. I clueless man. Somebody help me out so that I don't replace everything in order to fix it, when it was really just a bad connection or something small.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:34 PM
FormerVendor

If you can get the computer scanned and find out what code it is throwing. They are usually saved for a little while in the PCMs history, even if the SES light is not coming on.

Matt

Originally Posted by BTA 123
Well, I tried starting it again this afternoon, no go. And it isn't throwing a SES light anymore either. I clueless man. Somebody help me out so that I don't replace everything in order to fix it, when it was really just a bad connection or something small.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

do you have a fuel pressure guage?
Old 09-24-2005, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

No I don't.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your fuses and relays first.
Can you hear the fuel pump going on when ignition is turned?

If there is no fuel at the rails start tracing it backwards.

It has to be either filter, pump or reg, so work your way backwards.

If there is fuel on the inlet of filter and nothing on outlet then the filter is stuffed, if there is no pressure and you can hear the pump is working I would suspect the hose in the intank pump assembly has come loose.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

My buddies and I just went out and checked the car out pretty thoroughly. All the fuses and relays are good. I couldn't remember if the fuel pump kicked on when the ignition was on or not so we checked out an SS. Sure enough, the fuel pump kicked on, so we determined thata my fuel pump was done. I also discovered that there was no fuel in the tank, my father had ran it bone dry. My father informed me that it wouldnt start, so he had the mechanis check it our, right? Well, there was no fuel pressure at the fuel rail of course, there wasn't any fuel! So we added a few gallons of 93, and the FPR sucked some up in there and shot it out at us. So we tried bleeding the system. We barely got any fuel out, so we figure that when they were cranking it without any fuel, they killed the fuel pump. So, my father will be buying me a new pump and we'll be tearing it down and replacing it in a few days. Headaches, headaches, headaches.