Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronix Gets It Backwards

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Racetronix Gets It Backwards

First I want to say that this really isn't a rant, because I understand everyone makes mistakes. Although, had I done my fuel pump install the right way and dropped my tank, I'd be very bumbed out at having to drop my tank twice for their mistake. I thankfully made a "trapdoor." The install was very straightforward and not really very hard. There was only one mistake in the instructions that mentioned a black and red wire, when in reality it was a black and gray wire. This was no big deal though, and common sense sorted this one out. After the installation I went to check my fuel pressure and had none at the fuel rail. I disconnected the fuel line at the tank and no fuel pressure there either. I pulled the pump back out of the tank and after lots of searching, realized that the black(-) and gray(+) wire's of the power harness that plugs into the pump were reversed. This harness is meant to plug right in to the pump without any modification. There would be no reason for anyone to even second guess the way it comes from racetronix. I had to pull the wires back out of their harness and reverse them. The pump obviously worked very well after this. As for quality, the racetronix pump is excellent. They even give you extra zip ties and bolts in case you lose/need them. Everything came very nicely packaged also. I'd have to say for an aftermarket pump, the plug and play racetronix is the way to go. Just do yourself a favor and double check their "handywork" before installing. Otherwise..............you might be doing it twice.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the external plug n play harness that connects between the stock wiring harness was backwards?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Launching!

holy **** that sucks *****!! I just got my kit and was going to install it tomarrow. How long did it take u?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
So the external plug n play harness that connects between the stock wiring harness was backwards?
Yeah, the connector pin(power source) that plugs into the top of the racetronix pump. It's not a big deal to reverse this, it's just something that most would not notice until the whole pump is installed and they go to turn on the car and have no fuel pressure. I was baffled at first when I had no fuel pressure, and it was kind of a pain to trace the problem back to the reversed wires.

QUOTE: holy **** that sucks *****!! I just got my kit and was going to install it tomarrow. How long did it take u?

A few hours because I was taking my time and double checking everything. It's not a hard install. It just takes a little time to either build a trap door or drop your tank and run the wires. The wiring is 6th grade simple, it just takes some time to run them laying on your back. I hooked my + up to the alternator and am happy with how the wiring is ran. Good luck, and don't forget to check your harness. On the top of the pump there is a + and - in small print. Your's will probably be fine, I'm sure mine was just a flook.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, that is the nicest setup I have seen yet. I installed one on a 01 WS6 and install was a breeze on a lift. High Quality. Took 2 hours, just follow the instructions plus they even have pictures!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to see Racetronix chime in here and see what they say about their mistake.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still waiting to hear from them about the mistake on my harness. The racetronix kit was nice but the PNP weatherpak plug was wrong and had to be switched. Good luck with any rebate or even them owning up to the mistake. Seems to me that the only thing they care about is the sale and once they have your money tuff luck with any trouble.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

My $130 Holley pump works fine!!!! And you only have to splice two wires.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MakoLS1
My $130 Holley pump works fine!!!! And you only have to splice two wires.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I'm still waiting to hear from them about the mistake on my harness. The racetronix kit was nice but the PNP weatherpak plug was wrong and had to be switched. Good luck with any rebate or even them owning up to the mistake. Seems to me that the only thing they care about is the sale and once they have your money tuff luck with any trouble.
No, you failed to realize that the harness plugs into the top of the sending unit unlike the F98 system where it plugs in behind the rear seat! There was nothing wrong with your F99 harness.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<

Last edited by Racetronix; 10-07-2005 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

All too often customers overlook things during the install process and are very quick to place blame.

The in-tank harness is tested on the bench and a QC label is applied when it passes. Some customers have failed to read the manual thoroughly and have moved the wrong wires around on the bulkhead connector and inadvertently mixed up the pump's polarity. The manual has clear color pictures showing the pin letter designations and wire colors so there is no excuse why anything should be overlooked even if there was an oversight during the manufacturing process. Step 24 even goes so far as to recommend checking the pump's wiring polarity!

There are 1000's of the F99 systems in use today w/o problems.

Since nobody contacted us about this problem it is a mute point. If you want help or answers e-mail support@racetronix.com. If you want to vent and make accusations use the forum. LS1TECH is not Racetronix' official support medium.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 10-07-2005, 04:46 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doh!!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetronix
All too often customers overlook things during the install process and are very quick to place blame.

The in-tank harness is tested on the bench and a QC label is applied when it passes. Some customers have failed to read the manual thoroughly and have moved the wrong wires around on the bulkhead connector and inadvertently mixed up the pump's polarity. The manual has clear color pictures showing the pin letter designations and wire colors so there is no excuse why anything should be overlooked even if there was an oversight during the manufacturing process. Step 24 even goes so far as to recommend checking the pump's wiring polarity!

Since nobody contacted us about this problem it is a mute point. If you want help or answers e-mail support@racetronix.com. If you want to vent and make accusations use the forum. LS1TECH is not Racetronix' official support medium.
Too often a company assumes it packaged something properly because no one else had trouble. A certified GM mechanic as well as electrical engineer installed the kit and the PNP plug was absoluetly wrong. The one on the picture on the website is correct but the plug I recieved wasnt the same plug. It was incorrect and all Racetronix has done is deny it. Typical third world country business. You wont accept responsibility and thats plain and simple. All you do is sit there in Toronto and say my product was correct but you werent there to install it. The installation was done by one of the better pro's in the area and he is not incorrect, you are. You cost me $65 extra for a PNP harness that wasnt PNP. Dont try and say it was user error because you are lying and trying to persuade opinion. YOUR harness had the WRONG Weatherpak connector on it!!

And dont say no one contacted you because they did. The mechanic at the time called and Nitro Dave who I bought it from has called you as well, your a lying cheat!
Old 10-07-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Racetronix

It would go a lot further if you guys would just admit that everyone makes mistakes and quit placing blame on the consumer. Why would I check a plug and play connector. The directions say "plug it in." Who would automatically assume that it was installed backwards from the factory. Obviously it wasn't tested at racetronix, otherwise you would have realized the pump was spinning backwards. It would save a lot more face if you guys would just apologize and move on, instead of making excuses and blaming the customer. Who wants to buy from a company that has earned a reputation for not standing behind their product and making excuses? In the business world "word of mouth" is everything, and you guys are definately starting to make your mark as a company.

Last edited by Redneck Z; 10-07-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Sorry I droped the ball on getting back to you. I actually did not get with Racetronix.I got with a third party we purchased it through to see what they thought.I have had your info laying on my desk so I would call Racetronix.Sorry I got so bussy and behind lately I fiorgot to follow through with it.So Racetronix had actually not heard from me untill I emailed him and he called me back today. So some of the lack of communication was a fault on my part.It was nice talking to you one the phone today.Im really glad you understood and did not beat me up
Talk to you next time.
Dave

Last edited by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet; 10-07-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,
In this market everyone makes mistakes.However when things go through a quality check point they are normally caught. But in many cases the product could still be packaged wrong.

The best way to handle this is to send the product back to the manafacture.In some occasions you can fix it your self.If its something you have no choice but to take care of your self because of it being in a shop or on a lift or what ever the reason is.Take pictures and save the parts you changed.This helps the manafacture know with out a dought if it is customer era, packaged wrong or built wrong.It takes all the gray area out.

Keep in mind no matter what comapany you are dealing with that if you do not take these measures you do not have any proof.Unfortintly the dishonest people that are out there looking for a hand out makes it harder on all the honest people.

Thanks
Dave
Old 10-07-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

My gripe is the way they have handled their customers concerns. I wasn't looking for a free pump. Instead of blaming their customers for their mistakes, they could at least appologize or pretend that they are concerned....or care. My point was to help them to realize that maybe some of their wiring might be installed backwards, so they could keep this in mind for the future. I was trying to help, not get a free handout. They have just shown exactly how much they care, or don't, about their customers and their product reputation.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

RedneckZ - I can understand your frustration. I spent hours upon hours chasing what I thought was a PCM related problem and after methodically checking everything I found out it was the PNP external harness that was causing the problem. To Racetronix's credit I e-mailed them about the problem and they responded within 24 hours via e-mail asking me for a phone number and a good time to call to me at. For the sake of time I decided to forego that route and fixed it myself.

Racetronix - FWIW, The sponsor I bought it from told me specifically to go directly through you for any issues or questions after the purchase. This seems to be consistent with most of your dealers. This is probably why you receive so much contact direct from end user.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:35 PM
9 Second Club

Plug and play means its good to go! Plain and simple. If racetronix cant admit it was wired wrong that blows Not like the guy was bashing you guys. And it was such an easy fix, I wouldnt wait for a email from you either. Bust out a phone # and stop hiding behind a keyboard. Sometimes a customer needs a answer now. Not sitting on a PC waiting for you to reply. How many times did I email you for a Double pump setup? Count it 22 times! Thats the main reason I went with the areomotive kit. Its all good buying from sponsors here and your products are nice. But you just being internet based is fine up to a point!

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 10-07-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Plug and play means its good to go! Plain and simple. If racetronix cant admit it was wired wrong that blows Not like the guy was bashing you guys. And it was such an easy fix, I wouldnt wait for a email from you either. Bust out a phone # and stop hiding behind a keyboard. Sometimes a customer needs a answer now. Not sitting on a PC waiting for you to reply. How many times did I email you for a Double pump setup? Count it 22 times! Thats the main reason I went with the areomotive kit. Its all good buying from sponsors here and your products are nice. But you just being internet based is fine up to a point!

My 1st thought was "where's the 1-800 number?" Now I know if I had been able to get a hold of them, they would have just blamed their backwards wiring on me anyways.

Ok, I've said enough....at least others considering a racetronix pump will know beforehand what they are getting in to. You might get a good pump with no problems and you'll probably be very happy. Just be aware that if there is a problem, they won't stand behind their product, and you will be the one that gets blamed for it.

Last edited by Redneck Z; 10-07-2005 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Racetronix Gets It Backwards