Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Stock fuel injectors?

Old 10-07-2005, 02:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock fuel injectors?

How big are the stock injectors on an LS1 and how much power can they handle?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the year. 98s had 28.x #/hr injectors, 99s and 00s had 26.4 #/hr, 01-02s had 28.6 #/hr injectors. As far as power, it all depends on how close to the edge you are willing to run. Most people (SAE, fuel injector industry types, racers, etc) will tell you that you should not run above 80% duty cycles. Here's the equation to use:
(Injector rating)(IDC)(# of cylinders)/(BSFC) = fwhp

Injector Rating is the rated fuel mass per hr @ 58psi
IDC is Injector Duty Cycle (should be < 80%)
BSFC is Brake Specific Fuel Consumption which is the fraction of fuel consumed per unit hp produced by the engine (usually .50 for NA)

Plug the #s in and you can see just how close the cars run to 80% IDC stock. That's not to say that you can't run stock injectors on a bolt on car, or even a cam. You can, you'll just be running your injectors closer to static (open 100% at WOT) which is not what they were designed to do. At high IDCs it is much more difficult for the injector to regulate the amount of fuel in the cylinder.

Another way to go is to run a higher pressure at the fuel rail. This will effectively raise the #/hr the injector will be able to deliver.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-07-2005, 04:48 AM
TECH Regular

Keep in mind also that BSFC is an efficiency rating and will vary from one engine to the next. Some engines are more efficient than others and will not require as much fuel to achieve the same hp #s.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Great info! Now how do we increase pressure? Is there a parameter in HPT that will do this?
Old 10-08-2005, 04:36 AM
TECH Regular

The pressure at the rails is due to the pump and regulator combo (ie, mechanical). There is no tuning to adjust pressure at the rails. The only parameter that can be altered through tuning is how long the injectors pulse (injector pulse width).
The equation for calculating the new #/hr rating of an injector for a given pressure is:

[sqrt(new pressure)/sqrt(old pressure)] x old #/hr = new #/hr

If you have HPTuner, it will automatically calculate this for you under the unit conversions section of the tools drop-down menu. Since we are dealing with root functions though, it will take a large increase in pressure to affect a decent gain in #/hr injector output.

At my future power levels I won't have any problems finding a suitable aftermarket injector to fit so I haven't looked into what it would take to raise the fuel pressure. Maybe some of the hardcore racers could chime in on what would need to be done...
Old 10-09-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

Cool, thanks. Just wondering running right at 400RWHP and just wondering how much power they can handle. Thanks I'll run the calculations.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

I have read that the stock injectors can handle 450+ RWHP easy. Just a matter of figuring out how to get the most of them.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

In order to make 450 rwhp (~517 fwhp) with the stock injectors at 100% duty cycle you would need a BSFC of .44 (most new engines are .45-.50). Is this possible? Yes, it is. It would require a very efficient engine to achieve it though. Keep in mind that you also need to run 100% IDC to get these #s. Combine that with the fact that stock injectors are not balanced and matched from the factory and you have a recipe for going lean / rich in different cylinders at wot.
The way I see it is this - Why spend $2000 - $3000 on a good head / cam setup (or even more on a stroker motor) only to risk damaging it due to running the stock injectors beyond there safe margins?
Its very easy to change out injectors and adjust the fueling tables to make them work. So it just doesn't make sense to me to not run safe with bigger injectors.

Search this Thread