Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fuel injectors swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injectors swap?

What are the basic steps on changing the injectors on a LT1? As of right now I got this much:
1. releive fuel pressure by depressing the schradder valve.... How does this work when there is a line hooked up to it (fuel line for N20), do I just take unbolt the line and that will allow the pressure to relieve through there?
2. Unbolt the 4 fuel rail bolts
3. Pull the injectors out of the intake while attached to fuel rail
4. Unscrew the injectors from the fuel rail

... I know I am probably missing something here, so what is it? I don't have a fuel disconnect tool, so can I just leave the fuel lines attached, or can I just unbolt the lines at the end of the rail?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'd be better off buying the tools.. $5 or so to save the hassle of messing with it in the engine bay, and the injectors dont screw in or out, there is an o ring on each end, so be careful none get left behind.. also with the n20 you can disconnect the line that goes to where the schrader valve used to be and just have a rag around it to relieve pressure
Old 10-19-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have something handy to catch the fuel that will come out once you remove the first injector. You can relieve all the pressure you want from the rails, but the volume of fuel is still in there. I've changed mine both on and off the car (on an ls1). It's really not difficult either way. If you do it on the car with the fuel line attached, its one less place for fuel to leak out. I just laid an old towel under the rail after I got it flipped over and started pulling injectors. If the injectors have never been off the rails and you have some mileage on the car, some of the orings may stay in the rail when you remove the injectors. Just make sure you fish them all out. You can use a small amount of vaseline or oil to lube the new orings before you install them. When you are finished, reconnect the battery and turn the ignition on to run the fuel pump and check for leaks before you start the car up.