Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Braided line question

Old 10-29-2005, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Braided line question

Probably quite stupid/simple.

Can you cut the fuel line?? Best tool to do so?
Old 10-29-2005, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

wrap where you are going to cut w/ electrical tape, and put one side of the hose in a vise (wrapped with a rag), and whip out your hacksaw, with fine toothed blade cut on the tape.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you very much!!

Wasn't sure, figured it was best to ask.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even better if you can cut it with a high speed and a cut off wheel. You will get a much cleaner cut, with less distortion of the steel braid. Yes and dont forget the tape
Old 10-29-2005, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks 618hawk.

I will see what I can do.
BTW...I am the guy with the black WS.6 at the Hooters for the CSMA meeting 6 months ago or whatever it was.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I seem to recall that. So what ever happened to the group. Heard nothing seen nothing????
I see your still plugging away on your setup. looks like it has been a long drawn out deal, one thing after another.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

high speed cutoff wheels are badass compared to a hacksaw.
both will work however.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys!!! I will tackle cutting this line up tomorrow and getting the rails ready to put on the car.

618Hawk....I haven't heard anything about CSMA for months now. Really since that meeting. Maybe there will be a single meeting in April again.
Yeah....the car is coming along. I think I finally have everything ready....barring me not breaking anything. Which seems routine now.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

If you cut it with a wheel, don't forget to blow the crud out of it before you install it.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Bringing this back....

When putting the fitting over the end....do you leave the tape on?? It seems like it fits VERY tight and I can't seem to get a good enough cut to not leave tape under the fitting.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I all ways remove the tape. How are you cutting it? hack saw or cut off wheel? Cut off wheel will give you the best clean cut. I cant remember it has been a while sence I installed some ends, or I am thinking of standard air hose ends. But dosent the sleev section thread on in the reverse (counter-clockwise)direction, and then the inner section threads in a clockwise direction?

I would also use some oil when putting every thing together, helps alot!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

I am using -8AN Earl's autofit fittings. Kinda like a compression fitting. Slide one end over the fuel line and the other fits into the hose itself. Then tighten.
Problem is....the fitting BARELY fits over the hose...and won't if there is ANY frey.
I was using a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Although the wheel is smaller. I think I need to try a different cutting method.
If I take the tape off, the line stays good until I try to slide the fitting over it.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:55 AM
Restricted User

You want to wrap the cut area very tight with black electrical tape, very tight is the key. After cutting, blow out the **** in the hose. I leave the tape on if the braids start to expand too much, it can be hidden easily enough. Then I place the braid carefully in the sleeve, and using a normal righty tighty, screw the sleeve down a little, enough to get the end in. Fist the line, and I bang it on a clothed hard surface, block of wood works great, until the hose is butted agains the stopper in the sleeve. Then, to assemble the fitting, use the conical/tapered end to expand the hoses opening inside the sleeve slightly and begin screwing them together. AN Wrenches are awesome, but in a pinch a couple adjustable wrneches work also. GL. Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another way you can cut the line is with a blade punch. Its like a metal scrapper that has been sharpend. You just put the blade on where you want to cut and take a BFH and wack it real good. It will make a very clean cut and keep the strands of wire from poping out everywhere. Its just another way I have done it. Any of the ways listed will work just fine.

By the way the BFH stands for Big F@%#*$% Hammer!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
Then I place the braid carefully in the sleeve, and using a normal righty tighty, screw the sleeve down a little, enough to get the end in.
This part I am not sure about.
Screw the sleeve?? What sleeve?
I have the Earl's quickfit fittings. Couple are straight and a couple are 90 degrees.
They look like this...
Old 11-18-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The RED part is the Sleeve, I find if you can clamp the hose up tight and then push and turn the red sleeve on to the hose. Tapered end 1st, best to use a wrench and push down and turn at the same time. Use a bit of oil as well. WD40 works good. Once the sleev is seated No you will need to clamp the sleeve up. They make alum block to hold it with out scratching it all up. I would clamp it up between to nice flat pieces of flat stock. To keep vice jaw mark off if it. Now push and thread the fitting in to the end of the hose untill the threads grap. ANd then you in the home stretch. Crank it down untill the fitting stops against the sleeve. Use a lot of oile here as well-end of the fitting.
I wouldput a piece of tape on the line butted up next to the sleeve, which would give me a referance to how far the hose was pushed out when the fitting was installed, if any.
Hope this hepls....Did you get you hose material from the same place as your fittings? Wonder if the gave you the correct size?

I recall a good place over off of 56th and 270 I think it was that delt with a lot of Earls stuff.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

The fittings and hose were from LS1speed. -8AN....at least it is supposed to be. Sleeve barely fits over the hose. I mean barely.
I didn't know I needed to clamp the sleeve. I figured the sleeve was tight enough to the hose to just crank them down.

I got your PM. I will probably call you tomorrow sometime. Gonna be too chilly to be in the garage it seems, so I will try to have this finished up. Thanks!!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Restricted User

Yeah, the sleeve will be tight. That style is a little different than the ones I am using. But all the same, using a soft clamp slide the sleeve over the hose, and then insert the barbed end of the blue fitting into the hose, a touch of trans fluid may be useful. Then screw them together. GL

Charlie

Search this Thread