Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Ran my T/A low on fuel :sucks:

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ran my T/A low on fuel :sucks:

Barely made it to the gas station. Car started to stumble right as I was pulling up to the pump. I shut it off and put about 10 gallons of Premium in it. Noticed on the way home that the stumble never went away. I took it for a long drive she seems fine, as long as I am driving. As soon as I come to a stop, it's starts to stumble again and feels like it's flooding over (old carb type symptom). I clean it out and she runs fine. The fuel filter was replaced about a week before this happened. Could I have sucked up some crap and plugged it up?

Also, what are the symptoms of bad 02's? I mean, I know they are both (fronts) bad, but how does the car act? Help!!!....I messed up my baby
Old 12-05-2005, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

anybody?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

I have run mine out of gas LIKE over 10 times still runs fine when i put gas in it hahaha sorry. CLEAN YOU MAFF
Old 12-05-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds just like a 02 problem. Your O2s should be replaced. Running out of gas should not mess up your car...
Old 12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

could be the filter again.I have never run out of gas....I don't think its good to get below about a quarter tankful--the gas cools the fuel pump you know...
Old 12-05-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any lights on? Service Engine? Is it smoking? Do you smell fuel?

I had a problem a couple months ago where my car was really sucking the gas and running rough, especially when idling. It eventually started to smoke & I could smell fuel. I replaced the O2s with simluators, but that did not correct the problem. I finally took it to a local shop with some guys I trust. It turned out that an ungrounded wire was causing my first injector to stick open and flood out the cylinder. Needless to say flooding, if it is severe enough, can wash out the cylinder then you are really SOL & JWF! If you need more advice you can reach me on Yahoo Messenger- hepcatws6.

PS- There is a wealth of knowledge on here and online. However, and I think most of the other members would agree with me, if you do not feel comfortable diagnosing and/or fixing the problem yourself there is nothing wrong with turning it over to a mechanic you trust. Better to spend a little money now then to spend a lot more later on! Hang in there, though, you'll get it figured out!

Last edited by hepcatws6; 12-05-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

A friend of mine who works on LS1's told me my return is clogged. To confirm that, I put a gauge at the shrader valve port and the needle pegged past 100psi

I removed the gauge and it stayed stuck past 100psi...LOL! So my buddy said for me to try another gauge. He described the symptoms my car is having before I even told him. So guess I'm gonna drop the tank and check to see if the return (regulator) is clogged up. After I try another gauge
Old 12-06-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You may just have low fuel pressure in your fuel rail. Go out and turn the key to on and leave it there until you hear the fuel pump stop (this runs the pump to prime the rail). Do that a couple more times then fire the car up and see how it runs.

An outside thought is that maybe the fuel pump got hot and started to toast itself. This was a problem on third gens that ran out of gas since their fuel pumps rely on the fuel that flows through them to keep them cool, not sure if this applies for LS1's though.

Good luck
Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE!!!...Ok, I had a friend come over with one of those proffessional EFI gauge kits. He popped it on the rail and we got 60 psi at idle and about 58psi under load. So I guess that gauge I put on is bad. After this he ran one of those EFI Pressure cleaners thru my injectors. Car seemed to idle alot better and the throttle response was awsome. Well after idling for a little bit we started to smell fuel out the pipes and our eyes started burning. He popped on one of the million dollar Snap-On scanners and yup...my front 02's are toast. The mV's were right in the 140's and would not move.

So, I guess that solves the problem. I won't find out until I replace them this weekend. Now, should I use the Bosch ones you can pickup at any autoparts store or should I get a set of AC Delco's...which are basically reboxed Bosch units according to my buddy who has been in the auto part business for about 15 years.

Thanks to those that helped me with some ideas. This site kicks ***
Old 12-07-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure an 02 is a 02 unless you get the kind that can run leaded fuel. Just get whatever is cheapest and easiest to get.