Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

External Pump Help...

Old 01-16-2006, 03:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default External Pump Help...

Ok... I am currently running an A1000 Aeromotive fuel pump on my 600rwhp GTO. But the darn thing overheats after about an hour and a half. If I am on the highway it seems to be fine for however long I am at a decent rate of speed. Maybe the wind is cooling the pump. But as soon as I sit in traffic aftre driving the car for longer than an hour the darn thing starts overheating and my fuel psi is all over the place! I have a voltage regulator on it with a high and low setting as well as it being boost referenced to come on at 3psi of boost or 3300RPMs.

Why does this pump overheat so often? Is there a better pump out there that will not give me these issues? Also what is the max RWHP I should see out of this pump with it pumping a constant 65psi?

If there is a better pump out there I will upgrade. This car is daily driven and I am tired of having to stop and let the pump cool down after an hour or 2 of driving!

Help me out please!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club

Just got off the phone with Aeromotive and feel pretty confident about the problem. I think I may have the wrong filter between the tank and pump. They said that would cause my overheating issues!

I will know soon enough!
Old 01-19-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

I am thinking about running this pump on my 99Z28. Are you still running the stock fuel lines and tank? If so how did you install the pump? If you are running a custom setup would you mind explaining what you did?

Any info would be great...thanks.
Josh
Old 01-21-2006, 11:41 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

On their site I see that they recommend their voltage controller to prevent overheating. Is that what you are using?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

They are very bad pumps for street driving they will over heat no matter what you do. Way too many issues with failing. We have been using the Weldon 600A pump good for about 900hp and a great street pump. Very quiet, runs cool, indistructable will last very long time.

Nate
Old 01-23-2006, 06:54 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
They are very bad pumps for street driving they will over heat no matter what you do. Way too many issues with failing. We have been using the Weldon 600A pump good for about 900hp and a great street pump. Very quiet, runs cool, indistructable will last very long time.

Nate
Isn't the input/output size a little small, it's only an 8an in and a 6an out???
Old 01-23-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Umm, ya. The above is inaccurate. The pump doesn't overheat, the fuel does. If you have converted to a rail return fuel system the fuel will pick up heat from underhood eventually overheating to the point of flashover or vapor lock on the inlet side of the pump. This causes the fluctuating fuel pressure. When you drive down the road underhood heat is removed by the moving car. You sit in traffic and the heat builds up causing the problem. The fix is to limit the amount of recirculation which is very high with the A1000 pump. The pump speed controller pulses battery voltage to the pump lowering volume about 40%. This reduces fuel heat loading and the tendency to turn into vapor. Winter fuel exaggerates the problem as it has a lower vaporization temperature. If you don't have a recirculating system the problem may be caused by inlet restriction as the pump really wants to be fed by a -10 line to be happy. The vacuum drawn on the fuel by the pump can cause the same vaporization problems.
Aeromotive runs their pumps continously for hundreds of hours at a time (overnight, weekends , even with real gasoline!) to ensure their durability. The pumps don't lock up or burst into flames and the warranty rate is extremely low, low even for parts that don't move. I can think of no better quality fuel pump.

My biased $.02
Old 01-23-2006, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

Well... I basically grenaded my rear end, but I changed the filter out and it runs perfect now!
Old 01-23-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Glad you got the inlet restriction fixed! Sorry to hear about the rear.

Search this Thread