Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Hose

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:03 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Hose

Looking for the most durable braied line(-8 and -6 AN). Looks like teflon lined is best from what I have read. Where can you get it? Didn't see any on Summit or Jegs sites that was recommended for fuel or -8 AN. I'm open to opinions on the various hose types.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Coal Mining Director

Teflon is best for fuel Harris Speed Works (spomsor) carries it in -6 and -8. Good folks to work with also...
Old 01-21-2006, 03:50 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onfire
Teflon is best for fuel Harris Speed Works (spomsor) carries it in -6 and -8. Good folks to work with also...
Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need Teflon lined for regular fuel, oil, tranny fluid use. You can use medium-to-high quality braided line rated for fuel/oil.

Look for Earl's Perform-O-Flex. Summit sells it and many fittings. Suitable for fuel, oil, etc. I suggest you buy it in bulk for your entire project rather than pay for smaller pieces - it really adds up. Also Summit's fitting prices for Earl's are almost half price compared to many speed shops, so it really pays to plan ahead. Sketch out your system. I've also found it useful to have a couple spare 45 degree and 90 hose ends, and some AN-to-NPT fittings around as spares. They're pretty cheap and if you buy them in your sizes might get you out of a midnight bind sometime. 3 more things to buy if you are going to make your own: some good quality fine-tooth hack saw blades, 1 inch wide duct tape, 1 set of Earl's or Summit aluminum/magnetic vise inserts. I also like to have the right aluminum wrenches for the sizes I use to keep the fittings in good shape. A hose pressure testing kit is really smart for checking your work.

If you want more info, go to the Earl's section on the Holley website:

www.holley.com

I have also used XRP which the local speed shop carries. Their top of the line hose is also fuel/oil rated. Check about meth or other chemicals.

Jim

Last edited by DeltaT; 01-22-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by DeltaT
You don't need Teflon lined for regular fuel, oil, tranny fluid use. You can use medium-to-high quality braided line rated for fuel/oil.

Look for Earl's Perform-O-Flex. Summit sells it and many fittings. Suitable for fuel, oil, etc. I suggest you buy it in bulk for your entire project rather than pay for smaller pieces - it really adds up. Also Summit's fitting prices for Earl's are almost half price compared to many speed shops, so it really pays to plan ahead. Sketch out your system. I've also found it useful to have a couple spare 45 degree and 90 hose ends, and some AN-to-NPT fittings around as spares. They're pretty cheap and if you buy them in your sizes might get you out of a midnight bind sometime. 3 more things to buy if you are going to make your own: some good quality fine-tooth hack saw blades, 1 inch wide duct tape, 1 set of Earl's or Summit aluminum/magnetic vise inserts. I also like to have the right aluminum wrenches for the sizes I use to keep the fittings in good shape. A hose pressure testing kit is really smart for checking your work.

If you want more info, go to the Earl's section on the Holley website:

www.holley.com

I have also used XRP which the local speed shop carries. Their top of the line hose is also fuel/oil rated. Check about meth or other chemicals.

Jim

It's true that you don't have to use Teflon. But I talked to the tech at Earl's. He said the gasoline additives will break down the synthetic rubber in any rubber hose over time. He also said to read the disclaimers that most braided hose companys are posting on their websites for that liability.

A lot of people are still selling/buying synthetic rubber hose...just remember it will break down over time and you will smell the gas vapor...and replace the hose.

Watch the hose companies release their "New" teflon hose lines this year....starting with Earl's.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:12 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Apparently the hose ends for the teflon from HSW have to be crimped Only straight ends are available. They are not a DIY deal. Kind of tough to determine exact section lengths without having everything in place, including the hose, as different hose types will allow for different bend radii. Final orientation of the fittings is also a factor in hose length. I'm told that the new DIY($) teflon hose will only come in -6. Straight ends only again.

I have my component list but that all changes if only straight hose ends can be used. I might have to go with half and half for now. -8 teflon tank to engine and -6 "rubber" top side.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:32 PM
FormerVendor

I think you misunderstood. We (HSW) only carry the DIY in a -6 size, although it is more expensive. As far as I know Earl’s and Aeroquip does not have their hose out yet.

Matt

Originally Posted by DrX
I'm told that the new DIY($) teflon hose will only come in -6. Straight ends only again.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:03 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
I think you misunderstood. We (HSW) only carry the DIY in a -6 size, although it is more expensive. As far as I know Earl’s and Aeroquip does not have their hose out yet.

Matt
Are you saying that the DIY is made in other sizes but you only carry the -6? I will get back to you on the -8 pre cut/crimped after I do some more measuring.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

Yes.

Matt

Originally Posted by DrX
Are you saying that the DIY is made in other sizes but you only carry the -6? I will get back to you on the -8 pre cut/crimped after I do some more measuring.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Coal Mining Director

DrX. I'm doing the same thing with Harris Speed Work....just costs a little shipping back and forth after some measurements. Worth it in the long run. Their clear coated stainless teflon hose is awesome....that coating is worth the effort over plain braided hose.

My custom tank delayed the hose project a little.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:26 PM
FormerVendor

I agree 100% with ya. The coated hose looks real sharp. I've got your hose separators in too.

Matt

Their clear coated stainless teflon hose is awesome....that coating is worth the effort over plain braided hose.

My custom tank delayed the hose project a little.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:17 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

just costs a little shipping back and forth after some measurements.
Cross border issues. Someone would have to convince the courier not to charge for customs clearance everytime the hoses crossed the border. These fees usually exceed the shipping fees(I'm not referring to taxes or duties). And proper documentation would be required to prevent an assessment by CRA every time they crossed the border.