Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Upgrade my rails or get regulator/bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Upgrade my rails or get regulator/bypass?

First off, I'm on a budget. I need to make that very clear.

I got my new tank installed for my truck (hybrid/conversion - link to the buildup is in signature below w/pics of everything).

The new tank has a single Walbro pump with supply/return/vapor hookups. I will be running new fuel lines for both return and supply in the next week or two I hope.

Problem: I am using '01 LS1 and the fuel rails support supply only, no return, so...

Question: Should I upgrade to 'Vette rails or aftermaket (if so, what year range or brand?) or should I just go out and get a pressure regulator/bypass valve (if so, what make/model/brand?).

Also, what size fuel lines (diameter) are recommended for the runs from tank to engine bay for the supply and the return? The engine might (at most) get a new cam, springs and whatnot down the road. This is not a high-HP buildup.

When bending out fuel lines, is it recommended to stop the fuel line a couple feet before the tank and the intake, then run a braided or rubber fuel hose to the tank and to the fuel rails?

Is it always necessary to use a regulator, regardless?

Should I be looking out for anything else here? Never worked on fuel system before, so I'm trying to learn.

Thanks for all the help, y'all. I'm learning as I go and I jumped neck deep on this project, right where I like to be
Old 03-14-2006, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need rails and the regulator. You have to control the pressure some how. -6or3/8" lines would be plenty for your application. Early Vette rails will work for your app. but are not adjustable and you will need special fittings to connect your line to the rails. You should do a section or soft line at the motor just for flex when the motor moves.

Nate
Old 03-14-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What do you recommend for a regulator and rails and what would be an avg price to expect? Line sizes needed?

Last edited by shifty`; 03-19-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, I have the Walbro GSS242 if it helps at all. I guess I left that info out above. Right now I have the tank, stock rails and no fuel lines bent yet, so I'm basically going to pave the way for my entire fuel system, just not sure where to start.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nevermind, found all the info i need here, thanks anyway.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/472609-lsx-into-67-69-camaro-basics.html

Last edited by shifty`; 03-20-2006 at 02:09 PM.