Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

DIY hotwire kit

Old 03-20-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default DIY hotwire kit

Has anyone made a fuel pump "hotwire" kit themselves? What do the branded kits come with? Would it be worth while to try and get a little extra voltage to the pump? Im running a stock fuel system with 30# redtops.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sell a DIy kit for $30 comes with 10gauge wire, fuse holder, relay and all connectors you need to wire it in. Or some other kits come wit it all wired with connectors to plug in the factory connectors. $70

Nate
Old 03-20-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

You just need a good gauge wire from the battery to a relay, and out to the pump. Followed by a good heavy gauge ground wire.
You can trigger the relay with the stock FP's voltage feed wire (Gray)
Probably $15-20 worth of stuff from your local ACE hardware
Old 03-20-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Has anyone made a fuel pump "hotwire" kit themselves? What do the branded kits come with? Would it be worth while to try and get a little extra voltage to the pump? Im running a stock fuel system with 30# redtops.
yes, i made my own "hotwire" kit too. wasnt too hard at all. of course, because im running a 3rdgen conversion, i didnt have a choice anyway.. lol.

the "branded" kits vary from simply some wires, connectors and relay thrown in a box, to a complete click in each connector setup.
personally i find them all to be overpriced, but they have to make money, and im just used to doing it myself.

yes.. and in my opinion, if you have a large enough fuel demand to warrant a upgraded pump, its worth it to upgrade the wiring to the pump... the wiring alone will show a decent gain.
most cars have between 10 to 11 volts at the pump... remember the cars electrical system isn't 12v.. its supposed to be between 13.5 and 14...
Old 03-20-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
yes, i made my own "hotwire" kit too. wasnt too hard at all. of course, because im running a 3rdgen conversion, i didnt have a choice anyway.. lol.

the "branded" kits vary from simply some wires, connectors and relay thrown in a box, to a complete click in each connector setup.
personally i find them all to be overpriced, but they have to make money, and im just used to doing it myself.

yes.. and in my opinion, if you have a large enough fuel demand to warrant a upgraded pump, its worth it to upgrade the wiring to the pump... the wiring alone will show a decent gain.
most cars have between 10 to 11 volts at the pump... remember the cars electrical system isn't 12v.. its supposed to be between 13.5 and 14...
Well, ill likely be keeping my stock pump for a while unless theres a need to upgrade it.

As for making the hotwire kit, what i the general idea / methodology?

take 10 gauge wire from the terminal on the alternator and fuse it then run it to the relay? Have the relay controled via the original fuel pump power wire?

Im just wondering if it would pay to trace all the original wiring and use the stock relay and fuse holder, but with larger gauge wiring.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nasty to you have a hotwire kit for a dual pump setup? I am running dual walbro intank pumps.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:01 AM
FormerVendor

what do you mean? Both pumps in the tank are going to be run by the same wire entering the pump assembly anyway. How do you have the 2 pumps wired to the connector?

Nate
Old 03-21-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Well, ill likely be keeping my stock pump for a while unless theres a need to upgrade it.

As for making the hotwire kit, what i the general idea / methodology?

take 10 gauge wire from the terminal on the alternator and fuse it then run it to the relay? Have the relay controled via the original fuel pump power wire?

Im just wondering if it would pay to trace all the original wiring and use the stock relay and fuse holder, but with larger gauge wiring.

general idea is theres a voltage drop from the smaller stock wiring..

so a nice thick gauge wire goes from the back of the alternator to a relay at the rear of the car (put a fuse inline up front..)
relay is kicked on by either the orignal fuel pump power wire, or the stock relays turn on wire... most people use the stock fuel pump power wire because its already there.

its possible to reuse the stock relay to do it, but ive never done it that way.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:59 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 10 gauge wire runing to each in-tank pump, I use seperate wires since I have one pump running off a hobbs switch for street driving. I have a racetronix hotwire kit on one pump (had it on there for a while) and I put a new relay up front for the second pump. Put the relay up front since it was easier to get the hobbs switch close to it.

All you need is a relay, connectors and some wire, I suggest soldering everything since fuel is somewhat important
Old 03-21-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I havent started the car yet I'm trying to figure out how to wire up the pumps. I want them to both run ALL the time. so how should I "hotwire" to pumps?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

if it was me, id run two seperate relays off the same trigger wire...
Old 03-23-2006, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
if it was me, id run two seperate relays off the same trigger wire...
Good call...
Old 03-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Coal Mining Director

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/454035-picture-racetronix-dual-pump-harness-super-quality.html
Old 03-25-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

onfire - Do you have any pictures of how the wires are hooked up to the fuel pump on that harness? Thanks!

-B

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY hotwire kit