Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

***HELP**Big HP Dual Intank questions w/ pix

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question ***HELP**Big HP Dual Intank questions w/ pix

So, im halfway underway with my dual intank pump setup, following dissassembled amoung others' setups. but i got some questions before i move forward, about some of the part of the bucket, ect.

before i go into details, its prolly important to state the purpose of the car. it will be a big hp STREET car that will occasionally see the track. it will see the street aLOT if u know what i mean, and will be good weather daily driven. so keep in mind turns with fuel sloshing around in the tank.

so, first thing is about the hard nylon hose coming out the top of the pump:

that connects to:

now, from what i understand this keeps the bucket full, but most people i see who do this setup eliminate it. with that gone, what will keep the bucket full?..i will have a return line, but done know if that will suffice. can someone please explain this to me?

next...
im not 100% on how i need to setup the bottom of the bucket. i see some people cutting two holes in the bottom of the bucket for the filters of the pumps to go thru. shoudlnt the whole pump and filter stay inside the bucket?..this is what the bottom of the bucket looks like now:

can someone explain to me in depth how i place the pumps and filters in relation to the bottom of the bucket, and if i have to cut holes in the bottom of the bucket, wouldnt that drain the fuel from the bucket somewhat? its hard to put it in words, sry if this sounds stupid.

basically if someone can explain to me the ACTUAL way the bucket and all the parts of of the BOTTOM of the bucket works, (only if u know what ur talkin about), id appreciate it....

pronto

thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've just been digging in the archives, and seen some posts by Racetronix that cover this.

This thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/342971-there-any-difference-between-racetronix-pump-plain-walbro-255-a.html

Covers the how's / why's on the plastic bucket. Yes, if you cut holes in the bottom, it eliminates the benefits of the plastic housing. Nothing keeps the bucket full if you cut holes in it, and apparently only the Racetronix pump takes the GM venturi design in to account to keep fuel sumped in the plastic housing.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Chop the bucket in half, below the fuel level "switch". At this point, when holes are being drilled in the bottom of the bucket, the bucket is pointless since it cannot "hold" fuel.

2. Use regular old 5/16" fuel injection hose available at any auto parts store to hook the pumps up to the yblock and/or stock need nipple.

Good luck

Andy
Old 03-19-2006, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

okay, now i understand all the stuff on the bottom of the tank. thank you. basically i need to keep the venturi setup and the bottom of the tank intact or teh bucket becomes useless. i dont think i can do this and shove 2 pumps with filters in there at the same time. has anyone done this? the 600$ racetronix dual setup is not an option.

if i cant, i will be forced to use my buddy's 98 metal tank.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

With the prefilter/socks on the bottom of the filters the "bucket" is not needed. I owuldnt try doing a 1/4 pass with just 1 gal of fuel. If you are concerned with the fule staying in the pumps just dont run a gal or two in the tank when racing.
I have run 3 gals of racegas with a sock and no bucket plenty of times and had no problems. The sock at the end of the filter will trap fuel and act as a "bucket"/prefilter. You are thinking too much in to it.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lbz34
The sock at the end of the filter will trap fuel and act as a "bucket"/prefilter.
Why is my BS detector going off at this statement?

I mean seriously. The sock holds what - a few tablespoons of gas? How long before the pump could suck that dry?

I have no vested interest in a '99 tank, as I have a '98. However, statements like this really set off my BS-o-meter.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

hehe i love my metal tank
Old 03-20-2006, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

i could easily go to my buddies 98 tank, but then converting the harness is a whole other matter. im wondering if i could splice my racetronix 99+ harness into teh 98 harness
Old 03-20-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

okay...my buddy actually had a pretty good idear.

one pump in the bucket, using the venturi system, and the other pump clamped to the outside of the bucket, towards teh bottom, obviously not with the benefit of the bucket. both pumps connect at the y-block. this way, i still definitely have the insurance of one pump defenitely supplied with fuel, and the second should still have sufficient amount of fuel since it is at the very bottom of the tank, given that im not boosting around turns, or taking HARD launches. i will just try not to let the fuel levelbecome lower than 1/3 or so.

any thots on this?....any input does help
Old 03-20-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
okay...my buddy actually had a pretty good idear.

one pump in the bucket, using the venturi system, and the other pump clamped to the outside of the bucket, towards teh bottom, obviously not with the benefit of the bucket. both pumps connect at the y-block. this way, i still definitely have the insurance of one pump defenitely supplied with fuel, and the second should still have sufficient amount of fuel since it is at the very bottom of the tank, given that im not boosting around turns, or taking HARD launches. i will just try not to let the fuel levelbecome lower than 1/3 or so.

any thots on this?....any input does help
If I recall the sending unit float is on the driver side of the bucket. With this in mind, clamping the other pump to the rear part of the bucket would not be such a bad idea to aide in hard launches since the fuel goes to the back of the tank. Obviously keeping more than a 1/4-1/3 tank of gas is cheap insurance. Sounds like a good idea. Try it out, take pics, post results.

Andy
Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

im thinkin about it..

any more input?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

okay...new circumstances..

ive come to the conclusion, that i either have to cut the bucket, or go 98 tank, for my dual intank setup. couple questions:

1. for those of u who cut the bucket: have u had any problems with that? how much power are u making? how is is around turns, heavy accelerations, etc...

2. i might go to a 98 tank as i have one lined up. i have my 99+ racetronix setup from last year and it would be a shame to have that go to waste. are the wires on the 98 harness the same as that of the 99+? meaning, would i be able to splice my 99+ racetronix harness into the 98 harness? (the 4 wires that go to the sending unit in the tank)

3. im planning on splicing my second pump into the 1st on the racetronix setup. does that harness supply enough power for both pumps, or will the second one draw from the first?

so do u guys think i should just go with the 98 tank, or try the 99+ with the cut bucket? this is for a ~high 700-800whp street application. will prolly sump later on but that is not an option right now

thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

hey, smart people...i cant hear u
Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Coal Mining Director

If you want to keep evap and save yourself a bunch of connection issues, keep the 99 tank. Put a second pump in like previous posters have shown and keep 5 gallons of gas in the tank for insurance....that will keep your gas gage working also. I'd cut the front of the bucket so the back will act like a baffle under launch.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Default dual intanks

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
im thinkin about it..

any more input?
Im running dual 255 walbros with no problems and two holes in the bottom of the bucket. Close to 700rw hp and tq. Just b safe and keep some extra gas n there!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

I dont have dual intanks, but i do have the bucket cut for the one Walbro and have never had a problem. Infact until now i forgot i even did it.