Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

New Magna Fuel street pumps up to 2000hp

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are not there race pumps these are designed for street use and do it very well. MagnaFuel strongly does NOT rec. a voltage controller they specificly told me they are not good for there motors. As long as these pumps are coupled with the correct size fuel line and regulator you will not have issues on the street.

Nate
Old 08-03-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

It doesn't drop the voltage, that's the key. Its pwm controlled so it hits the pump with full system voltage. Now if you were to use a dmm on it you would see that it averages about 10v to the pump with a 14.3 v supply. This is an averaged dmm reading though. The pump will last longer as it doesn't work as hard and the amp draw goes down. Regulated pump volume drops about 40% when its active on the low side. Thats significant.

The box will also run 6 seconds at full volume when you start the car and when you shut it off to keep the system primed. You can have it go 100% via rpm, or a grounded external switch, relay, ecu etc. Pretty cool. It will sink a bit over 30 amps so it can control pretty serious pumps.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:25 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andereck
It doesn't drop the voltage, that's the key. Its pwm controlled so it hits the pump with full system voltage. Now if you were to use a dmm on it you would see that it averages about 10v to the pump with a 14.3 v supply. This is an averaged dmm reading though. The pump will last longer as it doesn't work as hard and the amp draw goes down. Regulated pump volume drops about 40% when its active on the low side. Thats significant.

The box will also run 6 seconds at full volume when you start the car and when you shut it off to keep the system primed. You can have it go 100% via rpm, or a grounded external switch, relay, ecu etc. Pretty cool. It will sink a bit over 30 amps so it can control pretty serious pumps.
You sure its PWM? I had one for a while (came on a car I bought) and while I never put a scope on it after using it with an A1000 for a while it melted both spade lugs of the controller so I assumed it was drawing more current. Not to mention I burned up two A1000's when using it. After I got rid of the controller the pump lasted a long time..
Old 08-03-2006, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
It should support alot more than the 600A the 4303 flows 2.7GPM. Boosted I would say about 1500fwhp.

Nate

Do you have a flow/pressure/draw chart for these at various voltages?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kp
You sure its PWM? I had one for a while (came on a car I bought) and while I never put a scope on it after using it with an A1000 for a while it melted both spade lugs of the controller so I assumed it was drawing more current. Not to mention I burned up two A1000's when using it. After I got rid of the controller the pump lasted a long time..
Yes, I'm sure its PWM. There was a run of them with a component substitution that resulted in high amp draw and the potting would melt back from the terminal. The resulting heat was evident on the backside of the driver. You could see where the potting had softened around the component. This was cleared up some time ago. I'm surprised your A1000's burned up. They have pretty good sized brushes and they fit the commutator well when new.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Boodyrider
Do you have a flow/pressure/draw chart for these at various voltages?
For some reason Magnafuel doesn't publish that information. I called them about an older EFI 500 pump to see if they could give me their specs and they didn't have it handy. I flowed it and it made 3gpm @ 12.5v and 60psi. Pretty outstanding and good enough for nearly 1500hp on gas. Problem was it wasn't quite enough and fuel pressure started running backwards under boost at rpm. A cam change fixed the bsfc issue. They're good pumps and do run pretty quiet for the volume.

http://www.magnafuel.com/catalog.pdf
Old 08-04-2006, 12:35 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by andereck
Yes, I'm sure its PWM. There was a run of them with a component substitution that resulted in high amp draw and the potting would melt back from the terminal. The resulting heat was evident on the backside of the driver. You could see where the potting had softened around the component. This was cleared up some time ago. I'm surprised your A1000's burned up. They have pretty good sized brushes and they fit the commutator well when new.
heh, most likely I had one of the bad controllers because thats exactly what it did. Aeromotive said since I wasnt the original purchaser they couldnt warranty it and it probably wasnt worth repairing. Both pumps just quit after a couple hours use, one was the original pump that came in the car and the other was brand new one I bought that was exchanged where I bought it from. I ended up just putting a 50 amp relay in the back and threw the controller in the trash and it worked fine until I sold the car

I just assumed it was DC-DC converter and was overheating everything from the increased current draw at the lower voltage..
Old 08-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Coal Mining Director

Fuel heat has nothing to do with line size when FP is regulated to 58psi. If those pumps are pushing (a guess since they don't publish flow data ) +600lbs/hr through a 58psi regulator, the pump may never fail (properly designed) but the gas is going to heat up on long trips....better design for it.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:49 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
Fuel heat has nothing to do with line size when FP is regulated to 58psi. If those pumps are pushing (a guess since they don't publish flow data ) +600lbs/hr through a 58psi regulator, the pump may never fail (properly designed) but the gas is going to heat up on long trips....better design for it.
You an always put a small A2A cooler on the return line, have had one on my car for over a year, dont know if it really helps or not but its there lol. Main reason I like the magnafuel pump is its a very simpe design, its hard for a gear pump to fail, even though not as efficient as a geroter style pump, motor looks pretty beefy as well inside. Time will tell but you can rebuild the pump section in like 10 minutes without even taking the pump off the car, thats a plus to me.

As far as flow data procharger doesnt publish any either and I have one on my car and its doing OK. I'm sure the data is there but they just dont want to share for whatever reason, I dont like it but you dont have to know how to build a watch to tell time properly if you know what I mean
Old 08-04-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by kp
t you dont have to know how to build a watch to tell time properly if you know what I mean
LMAO! I like that!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
You an always put a small A2A cooler on the return line, have had one on my car for over a year, dont know if it really helps or not but its there lol.

I dont like it but you dont have to know how to build a watch to tell time properly if you know what I mean

Kev what brand ya got and is it for a -10an line???
Im looking for one just because.....

Thats so true LOL

Kyle
Old 08-04-2006, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Kyle you surely don't have -10 on your return line?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Kyle you surely don't have -10 on your return line?

Good one there Nate..... thanks on that one nah i have -8an as my return......-10 is my feed.....
Ya have any Nate????

Pm me a Price for one shipped to 23452 and ill give ya a ring.....

Kyle
Old 08-04-2006, 08:54 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Kev what brand ya got and is it for a -10an line???
Im looking for one just because.....

Thats so true LOL

Kyle
Its made by evercool or something like that, just do a search for 'fuel coolers' and you should find some. I have a -6 return line and thats where it is, looks like a little trans cooler. Not sure if it really helps that much but cant hurt..

*edit, its a flex-a-lite, just found the receipt
Old 08-05-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

so, it cools the heat build up in the return fuel line? hmm... getting my fuel system ready for ordering and this seems like a good addition since i will drive this car, ALOT!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:05 AM
9 Second Club

I drove my car about 60 miles with no problem with the magnafuel 4303.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Good how is the car running Joe?

Nate
Old 08-11-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

just got back from a 3 hr straight drive put on 170 ish miles. no issues what so ever. trying to break in my new setup. so for those worried about long drives and what nots with this pump, i had none. i believe i have the 4303
Old 08-11-2006, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

Cool you guys got the system together. It is living up to what it should do.

Nate
Old 08-11-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

still alil leaking. but i took the car home and dealing with it here.. but so far so good.

Quick Reply: New Magna Fuel street pumps up to 2000hp