Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Need help, in the middle of fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help, in the middle of fuel pump replacement

The car is an 98 and I am installing the walbro 255. I have a couple of questions that a search has not answered. This was supposed to be a direct replacement pump, it is not. I have the pump sitting in my trunk right now because the hard flex lines are hard to remove and I do not know if I need to reuse them. The kit came with a pre bent rubber line with 2 clamps. The new filter sock only has the big opening for the bottom of the pump. I do not have a way of reusing the other line that goes to the factory sock and connects at the black thing at the top (I believe it is the pressure regulator?) Do I just eliminate the 2 flex lines? The one I can replace with the rubber line, but the one that goes to the sock I am lost on. Also is there a way of removing the yellow connector at the top of the pump so I can get this thing out of the car completely? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Ok. now I cannot get the sock on the bottom of the pump because the hole is too large and too shallow, it hits the small cups used to keep the pump in place. Do I eliminate the bottom bucket and just attach with large hose clamps to the metal body of the unit?
Old 12-25-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Ok. now I cannot get the sock on the bottom of the pump because the hole is too large and too shallow, it hits the small cups used to keep the pump in place. Do I eliminate the bottom bucket and just attach with large hose clamps to the metal body of the unit?
thats what most people do...If its not racetronix its not a direct drop in btw.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
thats what most people do...If its not racetronix its not a direct drop in btw.

Thanks, before I bought it I asked if it was and he said it was? So, basically just let the other flex line just dangle? Also, is everyone just using the rubber line that comes in the kit? Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

post pics
Old 12-26-2006, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

I just finished mine like 2 mins ago! Look at the sticky on the top of the page and follow those directions that is what I did! It needed alittle more massaging that what I expected but it turned out ok. I hope waiting on my bro to help me reinstall it. So I can see if it worked! Good luck it took me like 3 hours just to put the pump in!

P.S. It tells you everything you need to know to get the job done on that sticky!

I made it easier on you here is the link: http://www.gonicd.com/intankinstall...umpinstall.html
Old 12-26-2006, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00WHITETA
I just finished mine like 2 mins ago! Look at the sticky on the top of the page and follow those directions that is what I did! It needed alittle more massaging that what I expected but it turned out ok. I hope waiting on my bro to help me reinstall it. So I can see if it worked! Good luck it took me like 3 hours just to put the pump in!

P.S. It tells you everything you need to know to get the job done on that sticky!

I made it easier on you here is the link: http://www.gonicd.com/intankinstall...umpinstall.html

Thanks man, but the 98's are different. They are like the LT1.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

oooo....... Sorry well I put mine in and works GREAT!!!!!!

Jimmy
Old 01-02-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default F/P Assistance

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
The car is an 98 and I am installing the walbro 255. I have a couple of questions that a search has not answered. This was supposed to be a direct replacement pump, it is not. I have the pump sitting in my trunk right now because the hard flex lines are hard to remove and I do not know if I need to reuse them. The kit came with a pre bent rubber line with 2 clamps. The new filter sock only has the big opening for the bottom of the pump. I do not have a way of reusing the other line that goes to the factory sock and connects at the black thing at the top (I believe it is the pressure regulator?) Do I just eliminate the 2 flex lines? The one I can replace with the rubber line, but the one that goes to the sock I am lost on. Also is there a way of removing the yellow connector at the top of the pump so I can get this thing out of the car completely? Thanks for the help.
Here is some info I posted a while ago - let me know where you are and I can walk you thru it.

MIKE

My replacement fuel pump's inlet hole was centered, not offset like the stock unit. When test fitting the pump, it looked like we (my brother and I) could make the Walbro unit work in the stock location just by slightly modifying the inside of the plastic bucket; we were right.

We placed the pump in the top portion of the bucket (after seperating the bucket into two parts) then tried fitting it in the base of the bucket; it didn't quite fit. There was a reinforcement rib on the inside of the bucket (closest to the inlet hole) that we shaved down so the tilted Walbro pump would not touch it, and then we shortened the three ribs on the inside of the inlet hole to allow the slightly longer than stock Walbro pump to seat in that hole; that was it. Those two mods allowed me to use the stock bucket w/o hacking it to pieces. We then glued the two pieces of the bucket back together using "Seal All" by Goop - It's made for use in gasoline soaked environments.

The GM bucket system is a neat solution to constanly cooling an always running fuel pump; the return line fills the bucket first,then overflows back into the tank, contantly circulating a cooling fluid around the pump.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me directly at: great421@yahoo.com - I hope this helps!