Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

pros and cons to fuel pump trap door

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pros and cons to fuel pump trap door

Can you guys gemm the pros and cons if any to the cut out for the fuel pump on the f bodys
Old 01-04-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

just drop the tank...
Old 01-04-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Took me 10 minutes to cut it and have access to my fuel pump. 7 of those minutes were changing out the cutting wheels on my dremel...
Old 01-04-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you drop the tank and you mess something up or forget something and your car does not run or run right. Guess what you get to do again? Pull the tank back down. Do the trap door method, it is not hacking your car no matter what anyone tells you. If you do it correctly and finish with a nice piece of color matched sheetmetal to cover it back up it will look just like factory. Every import car has an access panel, and those cars are usually better quality than GM's (Toyota and Honda) So if they all have them on better engineered cars, why can't we do the same thing on an F-body without people telling you it is hacking you car up. Take your time and just cut the hole. Tell me your dimensions of the hole you cut and I will make you a sheetmetal panel to cover it up. $20 plus shipping. Let me know.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Oh I already cut it out but I just cut out the hole middle section and it was perfect I think it ah pro all the way thank guy and has for the noise I don't even hear I because my radio is always on and I neva use the a/c
Old 01-04-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

I would not recommend cutting out the hole center section. That is a hack job and it weakens the rear structure significantly more than a 12*7 section with a plate bolted back into place. Also, for future reference use spell check so we might be able to better understand you.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Are dimensions on the trap door the same on the ls1's as the lt1's? I thought they were but i just wanted to make sure.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pddye
Are dimensions on the trap door the same on the ls1's as the lt1's? I thought they were but i just wanted to make sure.

Only the 98's are the same as the LT1. 99 and up are different, they are actually smaller.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
I would not recommend cutting out the hole center section. That is a hack job and it weakens the rear structure significantly more than a 12*7 section with a plate bolted back into place. Also, for future reference use spell check so we might be able to better understand you.
Disagree. You are not cutting any of the horizontal bends in the rear, thus not altering the torsional rigidity significantly of the body.
With that said, when my Walboro **** the bed last year, it took me 10 minutes to swap it out. A lot less headache then dropping the tank.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Used the trap door method here and couldn't be happier. I used stamped aluminum for the trap door cover and It looks good against black.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

can anybody give me the dimentions of the door or whole on a 00 t/a.... if you could pm them or email that would be great.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by project nightmare
can anybody give me the dimentions of the door or whole on a 00 t/a.... if you could pm them or email that would be great.
If you do a search there are pictures allready posted.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

idk what you have done by now, but just take the durn tank out, its not that bad at all and it gives you a chance to check out other things while its out, and clean things up if you are a cleaning person like myself
Old 01-07-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like stated before, if you do a nice clean job you can make it look like factory. If GM wasnt sutch a tight *** with these cars they probably would have a trap door from the factory. I just did mine last weekend and it looks like it was done by GM. If you grease monkeys like wrenching under a car then have at it.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

It gets covered by the carpet, so even if it is beautiful work, the carpet hides it. I droped the tank the first time. The second and third time were done through the trap door, 10 minutes each.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pro: You save time!

Con: You have a huge hole in your frame.

Pro: Future pump swaps are a snap!

Con: Rust.

I live in an area where it actually does rain from time to time, so the time after the rain stops and it's humid outside would present the perfect opportunity for moisture to find its way to that trap door. Having said that, I dropped my tank. Plus, I wasn't in a time crunch like most people seem to be in.

Just to give you an idea about "time crunch"... I take about two hours to change my oil. Granted, I don't sit there and watch the oil drain, I find something else to do, but I still take two hours. It also took me five hours to run my power wire for my new pump. Could I have done it quicker? Yes!

Do what you feel is best. In the end YOU have to be satisfied. It's YOUR car, not anyone else's.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
Pro: You save time!

Con: You have a huge hole in your frame.

Pro: Future pump swaps are a snap!

Con: Rust.

I live in an area where it actually does rain from time to time, so the time after the rain stops and it's humid outside would present the perfect opportunity for moisture to find its way to that trap door. Having said that, I dropped my tank. Plus, I wasn't in a time crunch like most people seem to be in.

Just to give you an idea about "time crunch"... I take about two hours to change my oil. Granted, I don't sit there and watch the oil drain, I find something else to do, but I still take two hours. It also took me five hours to run my power wire for my new pump. Could I have done it quicker? Yes!

Do what you feel is best. In the end YOU have to be satisfied. It's YOUR car, not anyone else's.

You do not have a hole in your frame. You have an access panel in the sheetmetal area of your trunk, where is the frame involved?

And as far as rust= if you do it the right way you will take some touch up paint you have lying around and paint where you made the cut. Well all the cons you listed were taken care of by doing the job properly. Hmm, imagine that.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Semantics. It's not a body panel that's being cut into that can easily be replaced, so I appologize for the gross amount of misinformation on my behalf. Heaven forbid. But touch up paint or not, I still have a huge, gaping hole in my car that I didn't have before. You, and others, may find this hole acceptable. That's fine, its your opinion, your preference, and your car.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is no structural integrity loss from this and it is in no way part of the unitized frame or structure of the car. Rust is not an issue with this modification ither if done properly, even if you live near the coast line with a lot of salt/moister.

Last edited by Jeremiah; 01-07-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

im changing my pump next weekend but i have a vert. hows the trap door thing gonna work for me then?

Quick Reply: pros and cons to fuel pump trap door