Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

help. installed intake, car shuts off on startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help. installed intake, car shuts off on startup

i just replaced my stock intake manifold on my 98 z28 camaro. i purchased a new FAST 90mm intake. i followed the directions 100% and after installing i went to fire the car up and she started for a split second but shut right off, multiple times. i asked a buddy of mine and she said it did the same to his and all he did was give her a lil bit of gas for a few minutes and she ran fine. i tried that several times and each time she would run as long as i had my foot on the gas but the second i let off she shut off. and still nothing has changed. ive check everywhere and i see no leaks or smell no gas in the air. i have gone thru and check all my connections multiple times and everything is plugged in/connected.

what is the problem? is it that im not getting enough fuel?...

keep in mind i cannot drive the car right now as to the fact i have no driveshaft or rearend (waiting on delivery from strange)
Old 01-07-2007, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you reset the PCM it needs to relearn the idle air control position. Keep it running with the throttle and gradually lower the engine speed until it stays alive.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you might have a vaccum leak are all you lines hooked up?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

well... i think i figured it out. it looks to be that i forgot to remove a bolt or 2 from the valley. it didnt say anything in the directions about it so needless to say i looked as well and i could inside and saw a small crack in the lower shell where the bolt was starting to break thru.... no time to remove intake tonight so ill have to get it tomorrow when i get off work..... on that note, does anyone know if the lower shell can be repaired? fiberglassing...anything? a new lower shell cost like $350+ abd after spending $700 i dont wanna have to go spend another $300 if not neccessary....
Old 01-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned

Default pics

here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails help. installed intake, car shuts off on startup-crack.jpg  
Old 01-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would replace it because after time with constant vaccum the crack will most likely expand .
Old 01-08-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you are real cautious i think it could be repaired with some fusor plastic heatset, and drill at both ends of the crack so it stops spreading, but if u can afford it id get a new one
Old 01-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Banned

i think im going to order a new one anyways. im gonna temporarily epoxy the crack and reinstall it just to make sure that was the problem and nothing else is going on. this really blows. ordered last tuesday, recieved friday, installed sat/sun, broke sunday night....what my luck. then my website gets hacked and person sends out over 16k emails and jams up, um i cant say host, but it jammed there system up so they suspended my account... @$$ HOLE HACKERS
Old 01-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Banned

anyone know where i can get replacement bolts and such for the FAST LS6 intake, i basically need the entire installation set.... somehow my dad managed to pick the ziplock bag up off the counter and place them on the trash but doesnt remember it.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MySickCamarodotCom
i just replaced my stock intake manifold on my 98 z28 camaro. i purchased a new FAST 90mm intake. i followed the directions 100% and after installing i went to fire the car up and she started for a split second but shut right off, multiple times. i asked a buddy of mine and she said it did the same to his and all he did was give her a lil bit of gas for a few minutes and she ran fine. i tried that several times and each time she would run as long as i had my foot on the gas but the second i let off she shut off. and still nothing has changed. ive check everywhere and i see no leaks or smell no gas in the air. i have gone thru and check all my connections multiple times and everything is plugged in/connected.

what is the problem? is it that im not getting enough fuel?...

keep in mind i cannot drive the car right now as to the fact i have no driveshaft or rearend (waiting on delivery from strange)
Did you use the bolts that come with the fast on the valely cover?

Did you break the Map sensor or plug it back in? What about the coolant temp sensor on the drivers side head?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Banned

well i found out that the new coolant crossover that the company sent me were the wrong ones and it wasnt sealing properly. everything is fine on the intake. i have the right coolant crossovers now. now im just waiting on the replacement bolts.