Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump upgrade confusion..

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Fuel Pump upgrade confusion..

I have done some research and read alot of old/recent threads on this issue but still confused about something...

I am wanting to upgrade the fuel pump in my car to a 255 unit. But I dont understand what the difference is between buying a 255 walbro pump and buying a 255 Racetronix kit. I have read of some people buying the pump and wiring it in and working just fine. And see some people are buying the Racetronix with all the extra wiring harness and not having problems either. Just trying to figure out what the difference is and why all the extra wiring harness with the Racetronix?

My car is a 98' if that matters any, and have looked for pics on where to make an access panel in a 98, but couldn't find it either.

TIA
Old 01-15-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the key:

A regular walboro does not "plug and play" per se into the factory hanger, and does not have a venturi pump incorporated into it's design. The factory pump (with a venturi in the bucket that keeps the pump submersed at all times) allows you to run the tank dry. You might not want to go that far, but with a standard walboro, you should keep a quarter of a tank or so in it so as to not cavitate the gas at the pump and accidentally starve it, burning it up.

For racing, this means less gas in the tank at the track, for less weight. For auto x it means less chance of sucking air in a crazy turn with lower fuel.

Racetronix has the venturi feature, and is a direct fit. However, it also has the option of the wiring harness, which bumps the voltage at the pump for more fuel delivery.

Finally, there is an LS1tech sponsor who offers a third option: fullthrottlespeed sells a direct replacement 99+ 255 walboro with a venturi. It works as stock, but is a 255 lph pump. I do not recall if it works with the 98- tank crowd. You can check it out though. If you do not need the extra voltage to the pump, but want to keep the factory operation, it is definately something to look into.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trap door pic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/615108-my-twin-walbro-s-01-t-pics-schizz.html
Old 01-15-2007, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

lo_jack - Thanks for the info, and one more question.. Why would you need the extra voltage for the pump?

Originally Posted by TN94Z
That is on a 01' I thought the 98' cars had to be cut in a different spot..
Old 01-15-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fuel pumps are like audio speakers, to a certain point, the more juice you can give them, the more gasoline they will pump. I hear this does have a tendancy to shorten pump life, but you are supposed to see more volume at the rail and a slight increase of PSI. Probably insignificant increase of PSI actually, but I could be wrong.

I didn't need more anything than a 255 running at stock voltage can provide, so it was not really in my list of criteria. I researched what it could do for me, and did not really go outside those parameters. But I did get the venturi'd walboro, and it is working like a champ. I have a 99 car and have NO clue about the 98 back trap door measurements. Someone else will have to help you out there, if search isn't pulling up anything useful.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:57 PM
9 Second Club

I did the Racetronix plug n play setup in my car & I highly recommend it. You get heavy gauge wiring & the option (which I ended up using) to plug in a BAP.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Mark98SS, did you drop the tank or cut an access panel?

And what rwhp would you need to step-up the voltage?

Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't read that part. I think the 98s use the same measurements as the LT1s. Here is a link on the measurements for an LT1.

http://www.geocities.com/formulapower2/fuelpump.html