Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

since pump change: starts hard, stumbles

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default since pump change: starts hard, stumbles

i changed the fuel pump pump on my z28(2000 gas tank) last week and now i'm having some issues with the car....it seemed to be fine for a while, i took it for a quick 5 mile ride when i first did the change..this morning it started a little hard, turned over once or twice before firing, and then the check engine light came on......i drove it to church, then to scott at dls so he could check out an issue with my rear....so this was about 40 mile since the change, and out of the blue it started stumbling and cutting out when i gave it gas....on my way home i stopped at autozone so they could check the codes, and they when he looked them up he said something about some emission solenoids?? i don't have the emission stuff on my car anymore, i'm not sure what triggered that code.....so i go to leave and it starts even harder....gets home fine though, check engine light stays off...i wait an hour and go to turn it on and it starts harder still, and the check engine light pops back on.......

there is a fuel line between the sending unit and the pump that bends a little bit when the bucket flexes, maybe i need to shorten it...
could a kinked line be the culprit?? any other ideas??
Old 04-15-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

on top of this question, i bought the tank used, and the bucket had holes drilled in it, as well as a walbro pump with no venturi hose.....when i replaced the pump i added the veturi hose....i can't see this having a negative effect, but i'm not real bright on how it all works exactly(even after reading how it works on racetronix website)......should i have left the ventui hose off?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Launching!

u might have a bad pump i had this happen to a customer and that was his problem. iwas told to drill holes in the sump because sometimes the little diaphram will suck shut with a bigger pump or u may have a kink in the hose the holes r fine and the venturi hose is ok to leave off we changed pumps and fixed the problem
Old 04-15-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3stgstocker
u might have a bad pump i had this happen to a customer and that was his problem. iwas told to drill holes in the sump because sometimes the little diaphram will suck shut with a bigger pump or u may have a kink in the hose the holes r fine and the venturi hose is ok to leave off we changed pumps and fixed the problem
i cut a bigger hole in the bucket, cut the bottom out so the pump would stick through it and the sock was on the bottom of the bucket, removed the venturi hose and shortened the fuel line from the sender to the pump so it wouldn't kink.....then i realized the tank was just about empty, which more than likely compounded the problem....ran fine to the gas station and back.....started hard the first time even after priming the pump, but started quick after that

one more question; is there supposed to be some type of seal/large o-ring in between the sending unit and the tank??? when i filled up gas overflowed out the top of the tank......i don't remember there being a ring before i changed the pumps, and there definitely isn't one now, but i never had that issue before......