Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

are you freakin serious. fuel rail problems/ runs rich

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default are you freakin serious. fuel rail problems/ runs rich

ok so i have a 98 trans am i just put a new motors stock longblock with headman long tubes, 3.5" Y pipe 3.5 over the axle to my magna flow with dual out. professional products intake w/85mm intake, ported polished epoxied throttle body and a few other small mods like no air pump. anyways first problem.

normal driving no problem. WOT no problem. when i let out of WOT i keep blowing the fuel rail off the injectors. i made a bracket that clamps around fuel rail and bolts to the intake. so hopefully that will fix that.

second problem. the car runs rich. i cant figure out whats causing this. i have boh front o2's hooked up sims in the back. no cats, stock injectors. my thought on this is probably wrong but ill put it out here to look stupid.

whenyou take out the cats your taking out the restriction of the exhaust. which makes the exiting speed ofthe exhaust through the pipes faster. possiby the o2's cant read the exhaust as well when it doesnt have the back-pressure that a catted exhaust system has.

third. im thinkin of bumpin up to the professional products 85mm throttle body and an 85mm mass air flow. is this gonna make my problems worse or will more air make it more of an efficiant of a burn and help lean it back out?

- Scottie
Old 04-25-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

its gotta be in the tune. i would think it is
Old 04-25-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds like you have way high fuel pressure if you're blowing the rails off of the injectors. That would also account for being so rich.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
It sounds like you have way high fuel pressure if you're blowing the rails off of the injectors. That would also account for being so rich.
yep. as you increase the pressure, you also increase the rating of the fuel injector..therefore causing it to be bigger (act like a bigger injector) and throws your IFR table off... aka run rich
Old 04-25-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

yea but all this on stock pump and settings? unless the hypertech is changing pump settings?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PP mani comes with brackets for the fuel rails. I was having some terrible problems with it for a while, come to find out I had the ls2 hold downs. Once I switched them there hasnt been a problem.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

ill contact them tomorrow and make sure thats not what the problem is. but if it is hey easy fix. cant be much worse then trying to get the back of the rails back on the injectors at midnight on the side of I-70 with very lil tools to work with. maybe i could get them to ship me an extra set of brackets with the throttle body i wanna order
Old 04-25-2007, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your's does have the metal L brackets right? The ls1 brackets are almost the same size both ways, and the ls2 is much shorter on the hieght side. I'm just not seeing how it pops up like that. Do the screws just back out of the manifold or what happens? I tightened the rear ones with a shorty and channel locks.