Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Plumbing Fuel system for Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plumbing Fuel system for Procharger

I tried searching the site on this topic, but came up short. I'm not sure if this should be in the Forced Induction section or the Fueling & Injection section, so I put it here. I am going to put a Procharger D-1SC on my 01 Trans AM. I I would like to know how to plumb the fuel system.

- Can I use the stock fuel line with an aftermarket pump?
- How do I run a return line back to the tank?
- Can I still use the stock tank?
- How big of an aftermarket pump do I need for 42# injectors with 8# of boost?
- What brand fuel pump would be recommended?
- If I don't use an intank fuel pump how do I tap in to the stock fuel tank?

I realy don't know much about this yet. Im trying to do as much research before I purchase the Procharger. Any recomended books would be great too. thanks.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:39 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be able to get away with the stock fuel system with an inline pump at 8psi. I used that configuration with my ProCharger setup up to 489rwhp.

Just recently when I did my forged motor and upped the boost, I switched to a return style fuel setup and went with 60# injectors. I used my stock hard lines and used the EVAP line as a return line. I haven't done a writeup yet, but I posted a lot of pics and tips in this thread.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

Do an intank Walbro pump it will get you the best volume for your setup. One Walbro pump like our Stage 1 Street kit will get you to about 600rwhp.

http://www.nastyperformance.com/FuelSystems.html

Nate
Old 05-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I'm shooting for 600 RWHP. When I rebuilt the upper half of my LS1 I had the supercharger in mind. Right now the only thing I'm going to have to change is the cam, the injectors and mass air. Here's what I have so far:

F.A.S.T. LSX Intake, F.A.S.T. 90mm TB, Aeromotive 5/8" high flow fuel rails, Stock injectors, AFR 205 heads w/ 8019 spring upgrade, Comp R lifters, Comp Pro Mag 1.75:1 roller rockers, Comp Hi-Tech push rods, SLP double roller timing chain, Comp cam: Lift= .588 in. / .590 ex. Dur.= 228 in. / 230 ex. LSA= 112, SLP long tubes, Corsa catback, K&N FIPK 2.

440 RWHP and 400 RWTQ (When my car was tuned they said the TQ would have been higher if I had the 78mm TB because higher port velocity)
Old 05-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

So when I run the return line, how do I get the gas back in the tank? I know if I use the stock return line I have to opt out the charcoal filter. Do I just drill a hole in the top of my tank and install an -AN fitting? Does the Walbro pump have -AN fittings to tie in too? Will I still need an inline pump?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:09 PM

If you use the EVAP as a return line, it already goes back into the tank... no drilling required.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Even on an 01'? I had it hooked up that way when I finished the motor. I had an after market FPR hooked up off the fuel rail and then in to the stock return line. When I went to put gas in my car for the first time after the rebuild, the tank was vapor locked and I couldn't put any gas from the pump in the tank. The gas just leaked out all over the ground. When I got home I took off the aftermarket FPR and blocked off that end of the fuel rail with a fuel pressure guage and hooked the the return line back up the way it came from the factory. Then I could put gas in the tank. Also, every time I drove the car with the return hooked up with the aftermarket FPR gas leaked out of the charcole filter in the back by the tank. I would go look at my car, but it is currently still parked from the winter. I haven't had time to get it out. I have pics of both ways I had it hooked up, but I don't have an ftp to host the pics to put them up on this site. I can e-mail them to you if you like. Just PM me your e-mail.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:08 AM

You have to modify the way the lines are run at the tank end. Click the link in the first post I made above!!!

Quick Reply: Plumbing Fuel system for Procharger