Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

What to do?? Fuel Drop

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What to do?? Fuel Drop

I am having a prob with fuel drop when I spray my H/C car. I am just spraying a 100 shot and I won't be spraying more than a 125 for a while.

I have a racetronix pump and 42 lb injectors. At idle my pressure is around 61 lbs. when I get on it without spray the fuel drops to about 59-60 lbs.
When I spray the 100 shot the pressure drops to about 54-55 lbs.

I don't really like the fact that it is dropping this low when I am just spraying a 100 hit.

What do I need to do about this?

Fuel Rails?
Boost a Pump?

Thanks,

Brent
Old 06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure the pump gets the voltage it needs in the first place. i've seen some car's voltage at the pump drop to 10.2 volts once you get on it hard. that of course drops the pressure, which outputs really diminished fuel flow. usually all it takes is running some bigger wiring to the back.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

The Racetronix came with the hot wire kit. The wire should be big enough to handle what I have. I did a battery relocation a few months ago. I have a larger battery in the back no with 0 gauge wire running to the front. I have it all tied together in the front with a block. I don't think this would have any thing to do with the pump not getting enough voltage, but the racetronix should be doing better than this. I was told that the racetronix would handle 550 -600 rwhp.............i am probably at about 530 with the 100 shot.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

then either the pump is about to go, or the filter is clogged. do you have any logs? is the drop uniform across any RPM or MAP or just drops past a certain range?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Just put a new filter in it...............don't have any logs of it, but as soon as I spray it it drops to 54 or 55 and holds steady.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

It looks like my fuel drop is fairley common with the racetronix pump. I havn't measured my voltage at the pump but I expect it to be 13.5 or so. I have read where even new racetronix setups are dropping just like mine. I think maybe the prob is the intank regulator......meaning I have two options

1. Buy a system that will put the regulator up front with a return line(Where it should have been)

2. Buy a Boost a Pump

Which one would be the best option??
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i vote for a real fuel system. you have no idea how many problems stem from not having enough fuel always there, so there is no delay when you go from mild to wild. introducing hacks like boost a pump makes it even worse, as you really have no way of mapping out the fuel rate when your fuel pressure changes arbitrarily. the flow of a pump itself is very nonlinear to start with, especially once you get to the far end of its capacities, to start varying voltage is just asking for trouble. doesn't racetronix have a dual pump setup now? maybe that's the way to get around it, then you wouldnt have to stress it at all, not all pumps can really take high voltage, and you really dont want it to fail when you're pushing it most (aka wot+high rpm). there's some good fuel system companies that sponsor this board, i'd definitely give them a ring.