Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Could my fuel pump be going?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could my fuel pump be going?

Hello.

I've been hearing a high pitch, RPM-related whine from my car. Noise appears to be coming from the rear. Cannot hear it from the outside. Quiet after cold start, louder after driving for a while. If I go to the back of the car, noise seems to be coming from the rear speakers, Nothing from the fronts. Does not matter whether radio is on or off. Still same volume - High pitch frequency. I also just purchased one of those cigarette lighter ipod thingies that transmits an FM frequency to the radio. You can't even hear it. The whine which I think may be my fuel pump is also coming through that, but in all 4 speakers when it's on. I don't think it's a failed rectifier bridge on my alternator since it only comes out of the rear speakers reguardless of when the radio is on(unless the ipod is hooked up). But something is whining in relation to rpm's. And something, possibly the same problem is causing an RFI interference when my ipod radio thing is hooked up. I appreciate any inputs. Thanks guys.

Rick.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Turn everything in your car off. Turn the key to the ON position.

The fuel pump should prime for about 5 seconds. If it is the same noise, then it is probably your fuel pump.

Or if your feeling ballsy pull your fuel pump fuse while the car is idling. The car will stay running for about 5 seconds (oddly enough) and you can see if the noise went away.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Well. I hear it prime. But it sounds different when the car is started.

I mean, doesn't anyone know what their pump sounded like before it blew? Anyone?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Launching!

well I have a system in my car and it use to make that exact same noise you are describing. It turned out to be some of my wires were kinked. Good luck
Old 07-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro Rick
I mean, doesn't anyone know what their pump sounded like before it blew? Anyone?
I just replaced my pump... Before it failed, I noticed that I couldn't hear the pump as I once was able to, but the car still ran - Probably with lower then normal fuel pressure. So, over time (months & months), my pump got quieter & quieter until you couldn't even hear it prime, but the car would run. It eventually failed, but that was the only audible (or lack thereof) sign.