Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

14gal of 14 mo. old 93octane + 10gal of 101octane=????

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14gal of 14 mo. old 93octane + 10gal of 101octane=????

A good tank of gas?

Long story short my truck has been down for 14 months, it had ~12-15 gallons of 93 octane in which obviously isnt going to be good stuff. So I added 10 gallons of 101 octane along with some STP fuel treatment and a bottle of gumout fuel system treatment since I figure the lines could be gummed up a bit. Im replacing the line from the filter on to the rails and a new set of rails etc. Im just wondering if this tank of gas is going to be good enough to break in my new motor. I dont know how bad the gas detiorated(sp?) over 14 mo. Ill have HPT hooked up to make sure I dont get any KR.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:00 AM
Teching In

Frankly I don't know if anyone will be able to give you a solid answer to how much your gas has deteriorated, however I can tell you that adding a higher octane fuel to a lower octane fuel does not result in a higher octane fuel. On a molecular level the two octanes do not mix and therefor you rely on proportion and in the end result chance. With a 1:10 all the way to 9:10 parts of high to low octane the chance of igniting a low octane molecule of gas (the molecules surrounding the spark plug end at any given time during combustion) to the chance of igniting a high octane molecule are outweighed by the risk. Therefore, if you had fresh 14 gallons of fresh 93 and added 10 gallons of 101, the result would be somewhere near 93.5, and this is based on chance and statistics, not chemically consistent. Only pased 95% of high octane to low octane can really be called safe to run as the higher octane fuel (sheer volume to reduce chance) however this offers no gaurenttee towards preventing one simple molecule of the lower octane from igniting the entire mixture prematurely.

Stick to chemical based fuel treatments, octane boosters (and your computer's low octane tables) to fix your problem, and leave the 101 for an empty tank. IMO
Old 07-12-2007, 04:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be way off on this, but I don't think it has anything to do with octane. The gas seperates from something else, like water or something, as it sits in the tank for a long time, I heard. That's why you add "treatment," not "octane booster." It gets rid of the bad stuff.

Again, I'm not trying to pass that off as fact or anything. Could be way off.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Modern fuel systems are sealed pretty good so your gas may last longer than you think before varnishing. Also, top tier gas stations have better additive packeges which help fight varnishing as well. It may not be as good as a fresh 93 but it should not hurt anything...hell, I am using 2.5 year old 93 in my lawn mower and it still works.

And to answer your question...14 gallons of 93 plus 10 gallons of 101 equals 24 gallons of gas!

BPD