Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

98 fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 fuel system

i need to change my pump and i need to know all the options ... Is the 98 pump even in a bucket like on the plastic tank cars ? Do i need a race tronix kit To save the factory features like i read about the plastic tank cars or will just a dropin walbro work ?

reason for changing is droping over 25psi of fuel over 4k rpm .. cam only car with new fuel filter pulled the filter on the dyno to make sure it wasnt the problem..

TIA,Will
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Launching!

I was a cheap *** and bought the walbro 255 from tsp.
the was NOT a direct fit. I had to use rubber to "take up" the gap because the walbro is not the same dia. as the stock pump. the harness had the wrong conecters so I had to splice them. the pickup filter on the stock pump had the return dumping back into the filter ( two ports on the stock filter) this kit did not. the return dumps into the tank. I was able to mount it any way and the car runs good for now. not real pleased at the we shall see if the walbro can handle some boost. I did the trap door and am real glad because i will not buy the hot wire for this kit. the next fuel upgrade will be the r-tronixs with the hot wire. should of Listened.

my car 98 t/a stock ls1, twin to4e's almost ready to boost....

also the 98 have no bucket and IMHO probally should be easier and work better.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

98 has no bucket, i replaced my fuel pump with the racetronix plug ang play, went right in , no problems... and had the upgraded wiring.

it's worked great. i would recommend it, just make sure you order the one for the 98 model, i think its actually cheaper than the 99+ but dont quote me on that.

no traped door here, dropped the tank. if you can get your car high enuff, its not that bad, just takes time.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

will just a pump out of 2000 TA work ? Just the pump not the whole assembly ???
Old 07-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Launching!

well anything "COULD" work. the harness connecter may be bad.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

ok put the 2000 pump in ... broke my 98 fuel sock... new pump has a venturi line that mine didnt so i had to bend it down so it didnt shoot straight up but now u have to cycle the pump twicwe before it will start.... im gonna try and find a diffrent pump today ....