Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

car went crazy need help!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default car went crazy need help!

So I was driving around tonight and got on the car a little just because I haven't in a while well that turned out to be a big mistake. The car went kinda bezerk, the gauges all floated around and all my lights came on and the car died shortly after, I managed to coast it into an empty parking lot and began to look all my electrical connections over. I hadn't discovered anything unusual and when I tried to start the car it turned over but did not start. I noticed that it didn't sound like the fuel pump was running and after several attempts the car finally started. I drove the mile or so home and half way the car sputtered very badly the gauges went crazy and it almost died again. I have an upgraded racetronix fuel pump kit that only has about 4K miles on it and has never given me trouble before, any idea what is going on here?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe your alternator took a puke before hand and you were just running on battery? I'd see if you can get the engine running and check the voltage at the battery, should be 13.5 to 13.8 while running.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I went and checked the car with a battery tester and it read 12.95V just sitting outside all day so I think its another issue
Old 08-31-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just checked the volts after leaving the lights on for a while and the battery read 12.69V so maybe its the alternator? It only happens at WOT never just putsing around town.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jeff check the ground connection on the passenger strut tower behind the battery. they tend to corrode.

MR S. Hey you could have called.

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
So I was driving around tonight and got on the car a little just because I haven't in a while well that turned out to be a big mistake. The car went kinda bezerk, the gauges all floated around and all my lights came on and the car died shortly after, I managed to coast it into an empty parking lot and began to look all my electrical connections over. I hadn't discovered anything unusual and when I tried to start the car it turned over but did not start. I noticed that it didn't sound like the fuel pump was running and after several attempts the car finally started. I drove the mile or so home and half way the car sputtered very badly the gauges went crazy and it almost died again. I have an upgraded racetronix fuel pump kit that only has about 4K miles on it and has never given me trouble before, any idea what is going on here?
Old 09-02-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Went over a few things today quickly, the battery is safe and secured tightly. Also checked the ground on the strut tower and it was a lil rusty but once I removed the nut it was clean and looked like it was getting a good connection so I scuffed it up an bit and reconnected it. Both battery posts and supplied power connectors are on tightly as well so I guess I will have to get under the car and inspect that ground going near the motor mount and see if that is ok, if so then I'll see if I can have the battery and alternator checked at my work (dealership) on tuesday.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Jeff, try and get a hold of Phil tonight I brought my car there for the trans work and tweak a few more pounds of boost out of it. I told him to remove the restrictive plate but he advised me against it. He said the motor would pull close to 15lb of boost and that would be a tad high for stock bottom end. So he will modify my plate and open it up a little more. Any way while my trans is down he will have some free time during the week enough to fix and tune yours. Email him and see what he says.

Sebastian
Old 09-02-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your car is a 98 right ? check the PCM connectors for corrosion.

Went over a few things today quickly, the battery is safe and secured tightly. Also checked the ground on the strut tower and it was a lil rusty but once I removed the nut it was clean and looked like it was getting a good connection so I scuffed it up an bit and reconnected it. Both battery posts and supplied power connectors are on tightly as well so I guess I will have to get under the car and inspect that ground going near the motor mount and see if that is ok, if so then I'll see if I can have the battery and alternator checked at my work (dealership) on tuesday.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It would help if it was a pcm calibration issue but its not. Why would the car go from fine to bad in no time ? the calibration didn't change. I am betting on a corroded connection somewhere or a fatiguaed wire in the harnes somewhere.

Originally Posted by Sponge Vette
Jeff, try and get a hold of Phil tonight I brought my car there for the trans work and tweak a few more pounds of boost out of it. I told him to remove the restrictive plate but he advised me against it. He said the motor would pull close to 15lb of boost and that would be a tad high for stock bottom end. So he will modify my plate and open it up a little more. Any way while my trans is down he will have some free time during the week enough to fix and tune yours. Email him and see what he says.

Sebastian
Old 09-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Your probably right! But his vehicle needed a good tune desperately, even before this issue came up.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Checked the PCM connections today and found corrosion on four pins on the set closest to the firewall. Clean them all out and took the car for a little spin, at WOT the car did as it should and ran great spinning the tires very bad but it put a smile on my face. Only problem is that my TCS OFF light stays on and the switch doesn't do anything, will this go away after a few startups or is there something else?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

why does the car need tunning ? It runs and drivers fine. It has consistnely had problems with getting the ET he wants but there could be more to that issue outside of tunning. Obviously corroded PCM pins can do bizarre things to engine performance.

Originally Posted by Sponge Vette
Your probably right! But his vehicle needed a good tune desperately, even before this issue came up.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I figured it was something stupid. Glad you didn't get the car retunned only to find out that wasn;t the problem. the TCS activation could be an ABS signal problem.

Checked the PCM connections today and found corrosion on four pins on the set closest to the firewall. Clean them all out and took the car for a little spin, at WOT the car did as it should and ran great spinning the tires very bad but it put a smile on my face. Only problem is that my TCS OFF light stays on and the switch doesn't do anything, will this go away after a few startups or is there something else?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE!
Went to drive the car to work today and it dies about half a mile away from my house I had to push it off the road into a parking lot only to discover that it wouldn't start and once again no fuel pump kicking on. Looks like the corroded wires weren't the main problem after all. Left the car til this afternoon thinking maybe the pump is getting hot and shutting off and then cooling off to start again. Checked it this afternoon and its still not working so I'm gonna go over the wiring and then possibly replace the pump, IT NEVER ENDS!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Response in other thread. If you can;t find it get ahold of me.

UPDATE!
Went to drive the car to work today and it dies about half a mile away from my house I had to push it off the road into a parking lot only to discover that it wouldn't start and once again no fuel pump kicking on. Looks like the corroded wires weren't the main problem after all. Left the car til this afternoon thinking maybe the pump is getting hot and shutting off and then cooling off to start again. Checked it this afternoon and its still not working so I'm gonna go over the wiring and then possibly replace the pump, IT NEVER ENDS!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have any suggestions? I have checked all the wiring up to the two connectors that sit on top on the tank to no avail. I will be pulling the pump soon to see if it gets power to it and then possibly replacing it if need be. Why would the pump fail so quickly though? I has probably 5K miles on it total and I hardly ever run below 1/2 tank and never below 1/4. Also had a new filter installed at the same time.

Search this Thread