Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

safe to run super rich?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safe to run super rich?

Just got new motor in car, changed alot of airflow characteristics ie headers ls6 intake x3 cam etc etc, so i upgraded from 26lb injectors to 38lb. I am now running so pig rich the car reeks of gas when it runs and is smoking, which smells like unburned fuel. I have to drive 2 hours to get this thing tuned, am I going to ruin my plugs / anything else doing this? I beleive this is a tuning issue only ( i hope ) any insight into this? I have iridium tr55ks and you all know how changing the back plugs are so Id like to avoid if possible, but a local tune is 800+ and i can goto little rock and get an EFI LIVE/wideband WOT and drive tune for under 300.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Well, first remember that you get what you pay for and the local guy is always my preference of tuner (unless they suck or don't know what they are doing)

Running overly rich can damage the motor...

I would put your stock injectors back in the car and drive with them to your tuner. The injectors are easy to change (easier then plugs) and that will keep your car in a safe zone fuel wise.

I wouldn't run the Iridium plugs either.. just go with some TR55s or TR6s.

Your richness is directly related to the 38lb injectors, again, switch them out until you get to your shop.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Launching!

ill look at diong this, it just looked near impossibly to get the back ones on under the cowl, or atleast my lazy half beaten memory tells me so ( swapping an engine in your driveway alone with a shop crane can be taxing haha ) Thats what my thought was. Going to look at it right now. As far as the tuning cost, everyone has told me i would be retarted to pay 800, not to mention the awful history of their customer service in helping me with my car. I have little faith in them, and cannot find anynoe theyve tuned
Old 11-29-2007, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Well then I agree you should go elsewhere to get it tuned.

The injectors really are not that bad to get too...if you can swap the motor, you can do the injectors
Old 12-03-2007, 02:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 70Stang
I would put your stock injectors back in the car and drive with them to your tuner. The injectors are easy to change (easier then plugs) and that will keep your car in a safe zone fuel wise.

I wouldn't run the Iridium plugs either.. just go with some TR55s or TR6s.

Your richness is directly related to the 38lb injectors, again, switch them out until you get to your shop.
This is exactly what I did, and I only stepped up to 30# at the time. Drove my car to Speed, Inc and parked out on the street. Pulled out my 10mm wrench, fuel line tool, and a few rags, and swapped injectors right there on the street in about a half hour. Only driving the car did with the 30# untuned was when Jim went out to pull the car around back into the shop.

I'm only a 1/2 hour drive from Speed Inc. too. I wouldn't dream of driving two hours on the highway at 1800-2500rpms with injectors that big =-o

I'm also a firm believer in the standard copper TR55's. No need for the iridium stuff unless you're trying to save weight for the track (lighter wallet).
Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Launching!

LOL, my wallet has already been modified for weight reduction, trust me!

Anyone who has ths prob and stumbles onto this thread, DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR WITH BIGGER INJECTORS UNTUNED!!!! I drove it to muffer shop and back and it wouldnt crank and i had to pull EVERY plug and clean it, totally fouled em up, and had soupy oil from all the gas getting into it. Borrow/rent a trailer or do injector swap as suggested, IT REALLY WILL MESS YOU UP DRIVING LIKE THAT, EVEN FOR a few MILES!!!

PS. Once there it took Rhino79 about 2 minutes to pull enough fuel to crank it and idle. Its just getting there is the challenge, I trailered it 2.5 hours to avoid driving with those injectors, and it was DEF the only way to go
Old 12-03-2007, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Good to hear you got it fixed.

And :doh: the washing down of the cylinders and/or contamination of the oil with fuel was something else I thought about mentioning but failed to do so
Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

too rich will wash you cylinder walls with fuel and you will end up doing major damage to your engine............trust me i know!!!
its the only reason i ended up doing a lq4 block in the z
Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
too rich will wash you cylinder walls with fuel and you will end up doing major damage to your engine............trust me i know!!!
its the only reason i ended up doing a lq4 block in the z
yes the gas will wash down the cylinder wall and breakdown the lubrication from your oil