Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end whine and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear end whine and vibration

Almost 3 weeks ago when driving to work on the highway there was much more vibration in the drivetrain. The next day I got more gear whine .When I disengage the clutch the vibration goes away but not the whine. I just got done with pulling the rear cover to check everything. There is little wear showing on the ring and the pinion and the torsen looks fine too. Also no shaving in the oil. I then grabbed the driveshaft to check for play. There is no up or down or side to side play at the rear but when I rotate the driveshaft one way and then the other there is play with clunking. I don't see the u joints having play in them. I don't know if that is normal? Moving on up to the trans I can move the driveshaft barely up and down in the trans yoke. Don't know if that is ok? I did notice that the torque arm bushing is torn.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh another thing is when I had the car on jacks and I tried driving it the traction control was coming on past 10-15 mph. Then I put it into reverse and no problem. Then back to 1st and it was fine. Then I ran the car thru the gears up to around 65 and let off the gas and no whine.