Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is this seepage normal ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this seepage normal ?

I had the car at the dealer today because im getting a smell of gear fluid at the rear after driving about 15-20 min but there is no leak. (They rebuilt the rear about 6 weeks ago) There was some fluid on the right side of the rear but the dealer says Thats Normal . They said there is nothing wrong with the car but when i went to pick it up i drove it for awhile and went straight back to the dealer and let them smell it. A tech came out (different one) and said he does smell it. The car is still there..

Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No seepage of any fluid is normal. Although what you are showing above is a very minuscule problem. Some folks weld the tubes to the housing to make the housing stronger, this would help to cure the problem. Just monitor it and you will be fine.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Yea but it still smells of gear fluid when i stop driving (which i don't think is coming from that seepage).
Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Smells like the dealer is trying to get outta fixing it. Six weeks, whats the warranty on parts/labor? Difff fluis stinks and if you smell it, its leaking, and something isn't right. They need to fix this asap.