Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

***rear End Noisy*** Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***rear End Noisy*** Please Help

its a 98 ls1 camaro with stock 10 bolt rear. last friday night i put a rear pinion seal in it. it felt fine and wasnt noisy. today came how and pulled into my parking spot and turned really hard to the left and it started to really make a bad noise coming from the rear. i back up and drove around the parking lot making really hard turns either way and it continuted to make the same noise. its is only at very slow speeds and when turning.

the noise sounds almost like a suspension noise. it is a loud squeck and almost a grind, it sounds really bad. its hard to explain. it also clunks hard but has done this ever since i bought it.

when i did the pinion seal i marked the pinion and the yoke and when i put it back together i went just a hair past the alingment marks.

so tonight i jacked up the rear end and put it in gear and tried spinning the tires up and then hitting the brakes and i coundnt get any noise. i then went under and tried to get some free play from the pinion by pulling up and down on it but nothing. i think the clunking noise could be coming from the back lash on the pinion and ring gear but not sure.

this car is my daily driver i need help bad!!

thanks matt

ps i also posted this in the general matinence section