Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

5 passes at track, whine from rear after last pass.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 passes at track, whine from rear after last pass.

Hey guys, I apologize in advance for the long post, but I want y'all to get ALL the details so that I get the best opinions possible.

All mods in sig and odo. has 101,6xx.

Went to the track and was able to put down 5 passes. The car was solid through the first 4. I didn't hot-lap it at all, either.

On the last pass of the night, the RPMs were staying high through every shift, and at first I thought I was spinning tires. After further thought, it became apparent that it was my clutch slipping that badly.

So after that last pass with bad clutch slippage, I turned off into the return lane and noticed that 3rd and 4th gear was producing a LOUD whine from the rear. 1st and 2nd were quiet. I let the car cool for over an hour before driving home from the track.

During the drive home, the howl from the rear in 3rd and 4th went away completely, but now 5th gear howls pretty bad from 50 to 65mph. 6th gear also produces a bit of a howl now, but not nearly as loud as 5th.

Other details:

The howl only happens when giving it gas, i.e. under load (in 5th between 50 and 65mph). It's dead quiet during deceleration.

It's a strange thing that if I'm going over a bumpy road in 5th, the howl sorta cuts in and out as the car bounces on the bumps. (maybe something other than the rear going bad???)

There is no rear-end noise during turns.

So what do you guys think? I'm sure the easiest generic answer is "Yep, your 10-bolt is on its way out." But, is it that simple? Why is there only noise in 5th gear (and a bit in 6th), and why did the noise in 3rd and 4th go away after cool-down, and stay gone? Could these symptoms be more associated with my fading clutch? Thanks in advance fellaz.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

the going over bumps parts has me thinking maybe u joints. we can check it out soon. just for the hell of it i will post a video of one of our passes for enjoyment sake.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

U -joint wouldn't be a bad place to start and easily done and while your at it check your pinion for any looseness/play while your inspecting the u-joint.(you never know)
Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Hey guys,

Quick question:

Had the car up on ramps, with the trans in 1st for safety, and noticed that the driveshaft has about a 1/4 inch rotational play. What does this indicate?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is that simple, it is the rear. The noise is consistent to MPH, not gear, which is why you hear it in 5-6th (50-70mph) instead of lower gears and mph.

The play in the driveshaft is normal.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

I believe they all will have a lil free play in them. mine does
Old 10-26-2008, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

keliente:

Thanks for the definitive answer, though of course it's not what I wanted to hear

I'm not going cammed yet as planned, given the need for a new clutch and rear. Guess I'll have to just pick up a used 10-bolt for now... *SIGH*
Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

we are gonna get really drunk putting the new rear end in.......
Old 10-26-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FST-Z
keliente:

Thanks for the definitive answer, though of course it's not what I wanted to hear

I'm not going cammed yet as planned, given the need for a new clutch and rear. Guess I'll have to just pick up a used 10-bolt for now... *SIGH*
Well, having a used 10 bolt to set aside would be a good idea. Don't totally discount your rear end just because it howls now, who knows it may end up lasting another year or so...or it could totally die the next time at the track.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Teching In

So you havent had the rear apart at all? If not it sounds like maybe a chiped tooth on the ring or pinion.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by keliente
Well, having a used 10 bolt to set aside would be a good idea. Don't totally discount your rear end just because it howls now, who knows it may end up lasting another year or so...or it could totally die the next time at the track.
LOL, well by some unfortunate stroke of luck, the local track has closed for good, even after filming an episode of Pinks. So, no more track going for me, even though I am a bit unsatisfied with my ET after modding to full bolt-ons. Now, it's all about just keeping her driveable, especially given the fact that I'm still making payments on her!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02'z
So you havent had the rear apart at all? If not it sounds like maybe a chiped tooth on the ring or pinion.
Nah, only to change the fluid. I've seen the great prices at ws6store.com for rear-end rebuild kits, but I'm kinna cautious of the expertise required to get gears "just right" while rebuilding. I don't have the experience, and neither do my boys... don't wanna screw something like that up.