Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end locked up

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end locked up

Last night i swapped in a different 10 bolt that had 3.42 gears for my sluggish 2.73s. The whole process was pretty straightforward, nothing really went bad. After i was done i decided to take a test drive to see if everything worked, gunned it a few times and the last time the car al of a sudden started shaking horribly. The rearend locked up, i didnt really get a chance to look at it since its been raining a lot here but i saw that the u joint was messed up, could it be that the u joint is locking the rearend up? or do i just have high hopes, either way i would like to here some input
Old 10-25-2008, 08:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

U-joints don't lock up axles. I bet the pinion came loose and fell into the large window in the differential. Seen it before on a big truck and it oblonged the front pinion bearing race in the housing.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it actually was the ujoint that blew, the driveshaft was somewhat bound up in the yoke of the rearend so it wouldnt budge in the first place, but i got the driveshaft out and the rear moves without a problem