Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

whine in rear gears look fine

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whine in rear gears look fine

This is my second post on this in the last week. For the past 3 weeks I started to hear a new whine in the rear on the highway around 70 on and off the gas. I week later it started to whine from 40 on up. Last weekend I pulled the rear cover and the gears looked good along with the pinion. There was any in play in the drive shaft side to side and up and down. Here is something interesting though. If I run the car while on jacks the asr kicks on in 1st gear. So I put the trans in reverse and the asr didn't come on so back to 1st gear and the asr didn't come on this time. So I ran the thru the gears up to 65-70 and no whine on or off the gas.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

my 3.70s have a steady whine at any speed and on or off the gas. I feel fine about the whine because it is steady and it is very common for a 9" to make some noise. It is not loud but it's there. No worries........ run it!
Old 10-25-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

This is with the stock 10 bolt. The rear was rebuilt totally about 45k miles ago. It has always made a whine around 60-65. I did fine that the torque arm bushing was trash so I replaced that today with a poly one and no more vibration or clunking while shifting or looseness. It didn't get to run the car this time while in the air. Maybe tomorrow.