Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12-Bolt Tru Trac Update!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation 12-Bolt Tru Trac Update!

Yup, it's still ****** junk!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/1004336-tru-trac-diff-f-ckin-junk.html (check out for the back story)

So anyways, I haven't driven it too much, due to weather and with rain, I want to be very careful with it.

This one seems to be even more broken the last one. From going reverse and then going forward there is definite slack, and it then it hits. Going left or right during acceleration as long as its not a tight turn is fine, I bearly notice it. On the freeway it sometimes acts like it wants to lock and unlock.

Tight turns it definitly shutters, bangs, and sometimes pop. Annoying?, yes, can I deal with it?, absolutely, since I want to try to break it.

Going reverse and turning tight is the worst of all. Like backing out of a parking space or drive way. If the car is rolling back and I turn the wheel either way and make it a tight one, the diff locks up every wheel rotation and slow the car down. I have rev the engine let out the clutch and power it out vs. allowing the car to roll.

When the last unit came out, it physically on the outside looked perfect, no glitter in the oil, no broken parts fell out. I suspect this is the same. So I am going to drive it, take hard turns, and drive it until it blows up. Or starts working again like the last unit.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eaton posi>tru trac <spool
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why did you chose a 12 bolt instead of a 9"? Just curious.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Grifter
Why did you chose a 12 bolt instead of a 9"? Just curious.
Bought it back in 2004, for a different car, Also I still wanted ABS which they did not have a fix back then for the 9"
Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 AM

hmm id be curious to drive your car, my tru trak does some of this in TIGHT turns but i just chalk it up as a caharacteristic of the tru trak

your running regular gear oil in it correct no synthetic right?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by thechef
hmm id be curious to drive your car, my tru trak does some of this in TIGHT turns but i just chalk it up as a caharacteristic of the tru trak

your running regular gear oil in it correct no synthetic right?
It's whatever Alfred put into it, if I recall it was regular gear oil + 1 bottled of GM slip diff additive.

Next time I see you with the car, I'll toss yea the key's JL-ws6 did drive it and as he stated, full lock mode, it seems to come out of that but now acts like a locker.

I have read in other forums that in tight turns it seems to be aggressive, that I can understand but this is a lil rediculous, going from one end of the spectrum to the other.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:00 PM

change the fluid this weekend to a regular gear oil and no additive and see if that helps, it might it might not, but for the $12.00 its worth a shot
Old 11-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by thechef
change the fluid this weekend to a regular gear oil and no additive and see if that helps, it might it might not, but for the $12.00 its worth a shot
Yea, when I get a free moment, I will. Thanks Chef. Go look at your shiny rims.

Quick Reply: 12-Bolt Tru Trac Update!