Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Grinding noise at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise at low speed

I have some grinding noise coming from the back of the car (205k+miles). It starts as I'm slowing down and accelerating(under 20mph). I thought it might be my rear end. Then someone else told me it could be the wheel bearings. I'm a full time college student and don't have the funds for a 9 inch now. I know people say don't waste any money on the 10 bolt, but this is my only car. Has anyone had similar symptoms? What turned out to be the culprit?

Also, the guy who rebuilt my tranny (I know the guy) recommended me to a rear end shop. I went today and they said they can check out the car for free, even if I end up not leaving the car there for repair. I asked about a gear change and they said it was about $150 more to put in new gears (3.73 or 4.10). If I change the rear end bearings, should I also get the gears changed (4.10's most likely) since I'm gonna have the same amount of down time and don't beat on the car. The car's an M6, btw.

Last edited by crazyhorses; 11-05-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: original too long
Old 11-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm going to take it in this morning to have it checked out, I don't want to risk being left stranded somewhere. I'll post up what happened once I get back from the shop.