Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Something wrong...please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Something wrong...please help

When I grab the rear wheels and push from the top and pull from the bottom I can move them a very small distance and they make a clicking noise. This happens for both rear wheels but not the front wheels. Is this normal?

I did this because I am getting a wawawawawawa sort of noise that gets louder as I go faster. The noise is the same if I am coasting or in gear or at different rpms. My lug nuts are tight. All stock except adjustable PHB.

I was costing down a hill at about 80 and when i was turning right the noise would get louder. When I was going straight it was not as loud and when I turned left it almost disappeared. Does this provide any clues?

What could be wrong its really driving me crazy.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is normal and you would be able to do it with the front wheels also if you had a four wheel drive. The play you feel is the backlash in the gear set and you have to have some. Too much backlash is not good but I would suspect the whine you are hearing is the abnormal whine that happens with the 10 bolt as it gets subjected to our higher horsepowered cars. It will probably only get louder and eventually you will have to get it rebuilt, and then the whole process will happen again. You can keep doing this or replace the rear with a stronger rear such as the Moser 9 inch. The 12 bolt rears will get the same noise you have now. Bob
Old 11-15-2008, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
That is normal and you would be able to do it with the front wheels also if you had a four wheel drive. The play you feel is the backlash in the gear set and you have to have some. Too much backlash is not good but I would suspect the whine you are hearing is the abnormal whine that happens with the 10 bolt as it gets subjected to our higher horsepowered cars. It will probably only get louder and eventually you will have to get it rebuilt, and then the whole process will happen again. You can keep doing this or replace the rear with a stronger rear such as the Moser 9 inch. The 12 bolt rears will get the same noise you have now. Bob
i agree with most...

although if he has stock gears.. there may be nothing wrong with his read, if he doesnt launch often... there was a thread just a few days ago where a guys rear was doing this.. a bolt was loose, he tightened it.. and it fixed his whining..

just a thought