Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Mild clunk in rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Mild clunk in rear

Ok, I've searched and I just can't find anything that describes the clunk I'm hearing. Lot's of people ahve clunks but I haven't seend one like this.

When I first start moving...even very slowly...I get a very subtle clunk in the rear end, then nothing for the rest of the time I'm moving in a given direction. Mostly hear/feel it when I first start backing out of the drive way. It's intermittent and I'm unable to reproduce the clunk at will.

I got under the car and checked the U-Joint and it had no detectable play; however, I could rotate the driveshaft/rearend about 1/8" - 1/4" is that amount of play normal in the rear or is that my problem?

Also, I haven't changed the fluid in the rear in ages , any chance it just needs new fluid?

I have 130,000 miles on the rear.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that the diff is on it's way out. I'd pull the cover off and look for any shavings, chipped teeth, the works.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
My guess is that the diff is on it's way out. I'd pull the cover off and look for any shavings, chipped teeth, the works.
That's kind of what I figured, but was hoping otherwise. What about the 1/4
play is that normal or should the rear not turn at all when I rotate the driveshaft?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
That's kind of what I figured, but was hoping otherwise. What about the 1/4
play is that normal or should the rear not turn at all when I rotate the driveshaft?
as for the play im not sure and am interested in finding out as well....i have a new moser 9" and i can def turn the driveshaft left and right with the e brake on so wheels are not spinning. and when i go to put it in ger to start from a stop i will get a light clunk like the shaft is being loaded? if this isnt normal then how the hell is it my new rear end is doing this?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Default Clunk

Yeah, I got the clunk too. About 9 months ago, I removed my back seats and started to hear it. I only hear it at about 25 mph decelerating to stop. About two months ago I took the cover off and changed the oil and gasket. The cover has a magnet on it and it had normal wear shavings on it and the oil was a dark graphite color. Put new oil in and still hear it, by the way it is a stock 10 bolt, 2.73 gears, with 89,xxx miles on it. The shifting of the shaft I guess is normal. My dad has a 67' Couger with a Moser 9" and the driveshaft on it would rotate about the same as you had described. I figure it is just play. Midwest chassis M9 here I come.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

i hear all sorts of clunks, bangs, and whistles coming from different parts of the car..... but i have so much aftermarket **** on this thing that i dont even know where to start looking!!

i check the car every day i drive it, and nothing looks out of the ordinary (at least to me). Until something breaks, i guess we'll never know
Old 11-25-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, well, I'm trying to decide if the rear-end is a high priority or if it's got another season of racing on street tires left in it. Would really love to do heads instead of the rear.