Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

installing a zexel torsen...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question installing a zexel torsen...

currently, i have an open diff w/ 3.08s. i want to install a zexel torsen. i just called a shop close to work and they want $435 for labor. does that sound right?

i would much rather do this myself, if i could - not only to save money, but i enjoy working on my car and typically do all (or almost all) of the work on it. i saw keliente's write-up and didn't see anywhere about keeping the same gears - i want to retain my 3.08s. is this an easy enough install, or should i have a shop do it? setting the backlash is my biggest worry.

i'm not a novice (definitely not a pro) - i just don't want to my zexel to become a cool looking paperweight.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it on my Camaro. I had an open rear with 3.42's.

Got the Torsen, pulled the open diff out, pulled off the reluctor ring (3 channel ABS) and ring gear. Put them on the Torsen and put it in. You'll need a shim kit to install the different washers in to get the right backlash. If you are mechanically inclined, it is not that hard to do.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

Changing just the diff is easy.
I'd never pay to have that done. You could buy a cheap dial indicator and a carrier bearing shim kit (aftermarket)
Most of the time I just 'feel' the before and after backlash, and end up buying nothing.
If you don't already know, the ring gear bolts are left hand thread
Old 12-08-2008, 05:22 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

WOW $435 is rediculous! I charge $150 labor. Most of the time the shims will not need to be changed. It should be close, but you really should check the backlash with a dial indicator. Also since you dont have a shim installer, you will need a brass punch to knock the shims in. You can call me for help while youre doing the work if you have any questions. Check my sig for my #

Good luck with it!

-Jason
Old 12-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help, guys! i think i'll give it a shot instead of taking it somewhere. it'll be a little while before i get around to it, though. i'll update when it's done.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by checkbit
thanks for the help, guys! i think i'll give it a shot instead of taking it somewhere. it'll be a little while before i get around to it, though. i'll update when it's done.
Just be warned that it's a difficult install. Gears are pretty advanced, and the problem is if you don't set them right and you put too many miles on them, they'll wear funny and be noisy forever. If you don't set them perfectly, there may be some noise. Granted, with properly worn-in GM OEM gears, the chances of them being noisy is lower than an aftermarket gear, but if you don't install them properly, it can still happen. When my gears were installed, they were dead silent, then one of the shims loosened on me and the gears started to howl a little. By the time I was able to get it to a shop and have the gears reset and the shim loctite'd into place, the damage was done. They'll forever make noise. It's not terrible and I can't hear it usually over the exhaust, but it's still there and if you dwell on it, it gets a bit annoying.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Just be warned that it's a difficult install. Gears are pretty advanced, .
The OP isn't doing gears. Yes gears are a bit tricky to get the pinion depth right, while the backlash changes with each depth setting change.

You only deal with backlash changing a carrier. It's not likely going to be so far off as to ruin it, plus when you adjust backlash nothing else changes.

Diff swap is no where near the same difficulty level as gears.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by All Black SS
The OP isn't doing gears. Yes gears are a bit tricky to get the pinion depth right, while the backlash changes with each depth setting change.

You only deal with backlash changing a carrier. It's not likely going to be so far off as to ruin it, plus when you adjust backlash nothing else changes.

Diff swap is no where near the same difficulty level as gears.
I was under the impression he was swapping out the whole carrier.

Quick Reply: installing a zexel torsen...