Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ford 8.8

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford 8.8

anyone out there that has put a 8.8 in a fbody or have a walkthrough, how involved is it?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000Z28ls1
anyone out there that has put a 8.8 in a fbody or have a walkthrough, how involved is it?
Sorry to say it, but the horse has been beat to a pile of mush, the maggots have eaten it, and the bones have dried up and blown away. (that means this comes up A LOT, and not only with the 8.8 but everything. Even the "whats it take to bolt up this $75 9 inch/ GM 8.5/ (hell I even seen a guy ask about a GM 10.5 14 bolt) I got from the junkyard? "

You can do an advanced search in this forum using 8.8 as keywords, you'll find this in the first result. LOOK AT THE DATES, the guy who made this one was all gung ho about it a year ealier, now for some reason he's saying it's not worth it, and dangerous. You can click on the blue box after the user name to go to the original thread.

Heres what he says recently.
Originally Posted by Studytime
Most of the 8.8" rear would spin off the axle tubes and the ones that didn't do that would break the torque arm mount off. If yours is welded to your housing blown03mustang, then get ready to replace / repair it because IF it is welded it'll break.

It is not worth it to build an 8.8" for an F-body UNLESS you are doing it as a novalty or are incredible bored. I thought I could do it really fast. I spent way more making them than I thought I would and it took me 6 months for the first one. I had all the best tools (multiple state of the art machine shops) at my disposal and it still took a long time just to get it all finished.

Seriously guys, this isn't something that you're going to slap together in a weekend, and if you do it'll probably break. If it doesn't break right off the bat, there are some serious safety issues to consider. Aside from wearing out one tire too fast if it's fab'd crooked, there's the chance your brakes fail, the TA bracket fails, or an axle fails. Consider the cars that have been totaled from freak accidents when a 10-bolt breaks. I'm just saying... well, you could die.

Do what you want, but having been there and done that, do a budget 9" build. It'll save you time and money.

Ben T.

Heres a post from back then.

I wouldn't put that abortion in my car. PLUS that TA mount covers the oil fill hole.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

thank you, that is all I needed, looks like i will still be saving for that 9!