Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Question about a roaring sound.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about a roaring sound.

My rearend is makes a roaring sound while i am driving and gets louder (loud enough to hear over my exhaust) as speed increases. I am not sure what is causing this. My question is will my rear be going out soon?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Your on the stock rear right? Is the roar constant, or does it get faster and slower dependant on your speed. My guess is a bad axle bearing.

I just replaced my drivers side axle and bearing due to a "rump, rump, rump" sound that got faster or slower depending on my speed. I could pretty much feel it in my car.

Best thing I can suggest is, jack it up, pull the rear tires off, pull the cover and pull out the axles and just have a look.. If you see any type of grove in either of the axles, replace the bearing and axle..

I would have never believed how damn loud a groved axle and bad bearing could be and how much of a vibration it can cause.. I fixed it and now it almost is like a new car.. I can finally hear my exhaust really good again...

Let us know..
Old 12-21-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Still the stock rear. It gets louder as speed increases, in the car its sounds almost like i put some mud swampers on for rear tires.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

get a 12 bolt/ 9 inch and be happy the rear lasted this long
Old 12-21-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

I want to do a 9" but dont have the money for one.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

I got the same problem! Taking it to the dealer tomorrow and let them fix it! Damn glad I got GM Protection plan when I bought this last year! Whew!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got done with all of that noise. New gears, new pinion, new axle's, all new bearings. My sound was the famous pitting on the axle's. My noise at the end was exactly what you said, and I have the loudmouth 1! Now everything is quiet as hell.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure it is one of those axle bearings man. I got my bearings and a new axle from Jaws Gear on here. I did pull out the diff to check the carrier bearings and to clean everything out. Everything else was fine. Cost me about 250-300 for everything including a couple tools, some Royal Purple and a new gasket..

If it wasn't the holidays I would come up to G-Ville and help you out for a ride in that beast of yours. Have not been in a 500 hp F-Body yet...

I rode on mine for about 5000 miles, but I got a lot less HP than you do. My car isn't a daily driver either..

If you don't plan on trying it yourself anytime soon, I may be able to swing up there one weekend and we can at least slide the axles out and check them. It's pretty easy to put everything back together if it is the bearing and axle. If you had the parts already I could have it done in about 3 hours or less
Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tom Burns
Cost me about 250-300 for everything
might jsut pay to buy a used 10 bolt on here. you can get em for under 200
Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
might jsut pay to buy a used 10 bolt on here. you can get em for under 200
Used rearend that has milage and most likey has some "Spirited Driver" behind the wheel. New parts, you know what you get. No guessing if you got a good one or not.

OP, Definately sounds like bad bearings and/or axle shaft.

Jeff
Old 12-23-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all the help everyone. And Tom Burns I appreciate the offer I might take you up on it, but even if not I could take you for a spin if you ever up this way.

New question, I was in a wreck a few months ago where I hit a bad spot in the road going about 60 and slid off the road ,and played Dukes of Hazard for about for about fifty yards. It was bad enough it bent two of my wheels among other stuff. Could this possibly be the cause? Because it would be nice to have the ol' insurance company pay for it, instead of me.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by raptorws6
Thanks for all the help everyone. And Tom Burns I appreciate the offer I might take you up on it, but even if not I could take you for a spin if you ever up this way.

New question, I was in a wreck a few months ago where I hit a bad spot in the road going about 60 and slid off the road ,and played Dukes of Hazard for about for about fifty yards. It was bad enough it bent two of my wheels among other stuff. Could this possibly be the cause? Because it would be nice to have the ol' insurance company pay for it, instead of me.

Thanks for the offer man.. If you can think up a date one weekend I can see what I can try to do.

I think playing Dukes of Hazard could have done it. I think my rear rotors being warped when I bought the car may have messed my one bearing up and then groved the axle, so with a wheel being bent it might have bent your housing, axle,etc... It's possible.....

Again, just let me know if you come up with a date..
Old 12-25-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

I will let you know.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

mine was the carrier bearings!