Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bent 9" Housing End?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent 9" Housing End?

I have had this bad screaching noise, along with a vibration, for some time now. my driveshaft was bent and that took care of most of the vibration. The noise was a very sharp ear piercing noise when turning sharp. I found the caliper bracket (the thing that actually holds the pads, in case im using wrong terminology) scrubbing the rotor on the outer bottom side. I ground the bracket so it doesnt scrub anymore but was looking at it and it seems the left housing end is bent or was welded crooked I dont drive it much, maybe 300 miles/month, but what effects would this have on the rear? damage the axle or bearings? also watching my car on the dyno the wheel looked like it had some wobble to it. checked it for roundness using our hunter balancer and it checks out. I planned on taking it to the driveline shop after the 1st but money is so tight I dont want to waste money to fix something that might not be as bad as i think. tried searching for "bent housing end" but now it searches for bent, housing, end which is hella gay.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start by stringing the rear end on both sides to see if it is indeed off. Have the steering wheel straight and with someone helping you string the bottom of the left side tires first and then go to the right and see if there is any diff. Who's housing is it?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

The other thing to do would be have it put on an alignment machine to see what is going on.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a moser housing. if looking from the rear it would look like \---! ill try to measure it Friday. any ideas what damage it might cause if any? had the noise since i bought it 3 yrs ago but the car was down for 2 of those.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Damage would be pre mature tire wear, less hp to the ground cause it is scrubbing the hole time and the fact you had to grind on a bracket just to name a few.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Honestly you need to send it back to someone that has a fixture so that it can be welded or straightened properly.