Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Dana 60 noise

Old 01-01-2009, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 60 noise

Ok so I got a Dana 60 over 6 months ago, and ever since it was new I have had an issue with noise out of the rear end.

Now it only does it at highway speeds while it is in 5th or 6th gear. But everytime I let off the gas in any of the overdrives I get a whinning/vibration noise that sounds like it is coming out of the rear end.

I have talked to several people and cannot really figure out what the hell it is. It is a Dana 60 with 4.10's and the Tru Trac locker.

I do have an adjustable BMR torque arm and set it to -2 degrees per BMR specs. (angle finder on mounting plate and driveshaft)

Please, if anyone has any info or anything it would be greatly appreciated, this thing is annoying on the highway.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the gear pattern and backlash...something may have moved around.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

That is the one thing I don't know how to do, LOL. I may just have to find a rear end shop here in Manhattan and see if they can do it for me. I know I should have paid more attention in Drivetrain 101 back in college HAHA.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Check the pinion and see if it's loose and wobbly... Typically noise under decel/accel is a sign of a bad pinion bearing. If it's an old setup, it's quite possible the pinion nut has come loose...
Old 01-02-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

It's a brand new rear end from Strange and the pinion wasn't loose and wobbly, I checked it when I had to take the driveshaft off.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
It's a brand new rear end from Strange and the pinion wasn't loose and wobbly, I checked it when I had to take the driveshaft off.
Then I'd call Strange.....
Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Launching!

I get gear whine in 5th or 6th at lower speeds (50mph or so) but not specifically on a deceleration.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I can hear their answer now:

"It is a performance rear axle...it isn't going to be quiet."
Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I can hear their answer now:

"It is a performance rear axle...it isn't going to be quiet."
Could be.. Not all gears are quiet. But I would think coming from Strange, they would be using a high quality gear?

We've got a lot in common - we can both bust the good high dollar parts. You guys are doing it on the drag strip, and we're doing it on the rocks. You guys have 500+ hp and we have 500+ tq. You guys have some kind of forced air and we have dual transfer cases. My point is that if we can find quiet gears that will live in our environment, there is no reason you guys can't. Strange supposedly builds the high dollar **** for you drag guys, so I would have to assume they are using a quality gear.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Don't kid yourself...my Strange 12-bolt has a horrible gear pattern, and consequently is loud as all hell.

It is high dollar, but their attention to detail is lacking. I'm not surprised at all to hear about this problem...it is common with performance oriented rear ends for these cars. Some don't care...I, however, do.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

I called them right after I started hearing it, I was on mile 1400 of the breakin and was heading to KC for the LTX shootout.

At first they said it could be the tranny. But I had that rebuilt by Tick performance not too long ago.

If it's nothing hard I got a buddy that is going to check it tomorrow. It would be too much of a hassle to ship it back to Strange.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Launching!

I called them right after I started hearing it, I was on mile 1400 of the breakin and was heading to KC for the LTX shootout.
Mine has been in for about 25k miles and not installed when I owned the car. I asked about gear whine when I bought it and the previous owner pointed it out to me. Its real faint and I usually never hear it, non of my passengers have ever heard it either. Only reason I know its there is because I asked to have it pointed out to me, otherwise I would probably be oblivious to it.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Don't kid yourself...my Strange 12-bolt has a horrible gear pattern, and consequently is loud as all hell.

It is high dollar, but their attention to detail is lacking. I'm not surprised at all to hear about this problem...it is common with performance oriented rear ends for these cars. Some don't care...I, however, do.
That's BS... For what you guys are paying they should work right... Now I know.

****, you guys would be better off buying one from 4wheelparts or etc and saving some money... Seirously, if their quality sucks, what are you paying for? Their name? If their quality sucks, then their name isn't worth the cost of ink to write this.....
Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Launching!

At first they said it could be the tranny. But I had that rebuilt by Tick performance not too long ago.

If it's nothing hard I got a buddy that is going to check it tomorrow. It would be too much of a hassle to ship it back to Strange.
And apparently pointless. Sorry for your loss Let us know what you find.... I'm curious.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Hopefully today I will find something out.

And the noise isn't really gear whine. When I bought the car the 10 bolt whined LOUD. And this does not sound like that at all. This is actually a vibration, per say, and can be felt all throughout the car. When I first put the rear end in my torque arm was not adjusted right and I had to drive it down to my shop to put it on the lift. It was only about 1/2 mile but if I tried going anything over 20 it vibrated bad. After I got it adjusted right then it was fine.

Until I got it out on the open road and found this problem. I just hope it is something easy to fix.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

I just did a little searching and found out that the way BMR says to adjust their pinion angle is WRONG. I did it that way too. I really hope that is all that it is.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some serious horror stories associated with aftermarket rears. I've read everything from finger tight ring gear bolts to axle tubes that are +/-3 degrees off, and these companies usually arent willing to do anything to make it right. I would have expected the QC to be a little better, but there are a LOT of stories where people aren't getting taken care of. I have learned that inspecting everything BEFORE you install it is crucial to getting taken care of. Midwest is a company, on the other hand, that I havent heard a single problem associated with. My guess is that they actually inspect the thirdmembers before they send them out.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
There are some serious horror stories associated with aftermarket rears. I've read everything from finger tight ring gear bolts to axle tubes that are +/-3 degrees off, and these companies usually arent willing to do anything to make it right. I would have expected the QC to be a little better, but there are a LOT of stories where people aren't getting taken care of. I have learned that inspecting everything BEFORE you install it is crucial to getting taken care of. Midwest is a company, on the other hand, that I havent heard a single problem associated with. My guess is that they actually inspect the thirdmembers before they send them out.
That's just wrong I build my own housings or buy them already built from Currie. I've never used Strange or Moser rear ends, but I guess I assumed the bigger companies would have better rear ends since they charge more for them and people are buying them. Why I have no idea, apparently. No way in hell I'd spend ~$4k on a housing that already has a bad reputation....
Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just did a little searching and found out that the way BMR says to adjust their pinion angle is WRONG. I did it that way too. I really hope that is all that it is.

The visual is correct the guy talking is what's wrong
Old 01-05-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
The visual is correct the guy talking is what's wrong
Sorry that's what I meant. I'm gonna go back through this weekend and make sure it is set right and I didn't make the same math mistake he did

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dana 60 noise