Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end noises + 10bolt + T/A Cover + M6=??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end noises + 10bolt + T/A Cover + M6=??

I know the 10 bolt is garbage yada yada. I don't have money for a 12 bolt or 9" as I just put a clutch and mallory ignition and T/A cover, so on so forth. Anyways, the day after I put the T/A cover on I was going down the highway in 6th gear about 70 and something started howling. So I drove on home. I loaded my buddy in the hatch and drove around he said he thought it was the rear. Then I made him put his ear to the tranny tunnel next to the shifter while driving. He said it was louder there. I took it up to the shop and I changed the tranny fluid and the 1day old rear end fluid. Jacked the rear up and drove it. He got under it with a stethoscope and said he was 95% sure it was the rear. You can't hear the rear in 1st through 3rd gears ( probably because of exhaust) but you can hear it just a little bit in 4th gear, quite a bit more in 5th and alot in 6th. You can only hear it if say you were coasting then barely give it any gas. If you WOT it you can't hear it. (Again probably because of the exhaust). I was wondering if it just took a ****, or was the T/A cover the culprit. The directions said torque the load bolts to 5- 10 ft. lbs. My torque wrench only went to 15 so I got it to barely click then back them out like a 16th of a turn. (I know,I know) . What do ya'll think. The car has 86k miles. Been to the track a handfull of times on drag radials but never cut a 60 ft. better than 2.30s. So...? Any insight?

D
Old 01-22-2009, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a bearing