Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3rd gen moser 9" into my '99

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gen moser 9" into my '99

Hey guys,

So the new build is actually happening - an LME 416 + RPM Lv 5 T56 + 100hp shot. Which leaves my somewhat built 3.73 10 bolt as the week link. Well that and now my wallet...

I do have another project car - a '91 z28 with a moser 9" - and I do believe it is the "narrower" 3rd gen length as the stock '91 wheels sit perfectly inside the wheel wells.

So, if I were to swap the two rear ends, the '99 10bolt and the '91 moser 9" the only problems I would run into is the lack of abs/traction control, and the need to use either 3rd gen wheels or equivilent wheels, correct?

I like this idea because then I would would be able to run 5.5" backspaced 15x10" welds, right? Also, the rear in the '99 is a 3 channel (was origionally a 4 channel), so TCS and ABS are inop anyways.

So am I missing anything thought wise?

The other problem is that the 9" does clunk and whine. All of the bearings have been replaced and a new ring and pinion were professionally installed - so I am assuming the Auburn posi is bad, as it's the only thing left. Does that sound right? It clunks hard especially while backing up and making turns.

Thank you for any input